Tiny Village
05:17:58 Tiny
Anyone wanna PvP my request is up there
 ZEFHYR
05:05:23 
well thank you for your patience
 The-Storyteller
04:59:10 Zyra_the_wolf
When I was new, I literally asked someone how the chat system works. And some other random questions about the game-
 ZEFHYR
04:56:27 
:) thanks!
 Ecifircas
04:52:38 
ZEFHYR, no worries - I never mind answering questions and neither do many other users. We were all new at once point. :-)
 ZEFHYR
04:52:01 
oh krikey...lol ok. someday I will gt thru playing without asking dumb questions...righty
 Ecifircas
04:50:44 
ZEFHYR, if they don't have the option, that means you've already given them a paws up. :)
 ZEFHYR
04:46:07 
no... many of the profiles do not have that? of three i looked at, only one does
 Ecifircas
04:44:01 
ZEFHYR, go to their page and next to their paws count, there's a little button that says 'Paws Up'. ^^

-Click-
 ZEFHYR
04:42:44 
how do you give another player "paws up" ?
 EclipseTreasure
04:31:13 
-WP Click-

You scare me..
 distant-lands
04:07:27 katy | beetle
-WP Click-
this girl's one of my lightest weights, and also my best explorer xD
 Salem
04:06:48 Rumi
-WP Click-
 starmutt
03:51:07 marsh | they/it
bro is 107lb
yet i still trained him like he's baby </3

-WP Click-
 Ghost Queen
03:50:02 Ghost, Hades, Anubis
ecif XD
 Ecifircas
03:48:59 
I only train wolves that aren't boosted. For some reason, any wolf with a boost just gives me hell Explore-wise. I'm a DH hater. x)
 Ghost Queen
03:48:06 Ghost, Hades, Anubis
ecif all good XD it more her boost that i think is worth training since i only accept boosts but thank you XD
 Ecifircas
03:47:19 
Ghost Queen, it was just my opinion - take it or leave it, haha. I only train HW wolves with good vitals, low-gen, and agreeable / obedient dispositions.

Refresh

You must be a registered member for more
than 1 day before you can use our chatbox.
Quests
Alliance Battles
Challenges

Hourly Damage Variances
Grey Fox : 0
Sun Bear : -2
Coyote : -4
    Winter   Night  Weather:  Clear  Moon: 

Forums

→ Wolf Play is a fun game! Sign Up Now!

My Subscriptions
My Bookmarks
My Topics
Latest Topics
Following
Forums > Roleplay > Discussion
   1    2 

Vintage & Ellyllon Planning ThreadApril 20, 2022 12:05 PM

Former Pack

Neutral

Give Award
If your name’s not in the title, please don’t post.
Spoilers for an upcoming mystery RP, if you care about that.

Welcome
To The As-Yet Unnamed Rp Planning Thread

General Plot (So Far)

‘Set in the ’50s, rising starlet, Belladonna Montanari is found dead in her dressing room. The PCs, all of who work in some capacity at the film studio and had some relationship with the deceased, are falsely implicated in her murder. On the run, the PCs set out to find out what really happened, and more importantly, clear their names.’

Edited at April 20, 2022 12:24 PM by Vintage

Former Pack

Neutral

Give Award
Ideas/Notes
Keep It Subtle But Detailed

Roles/PCs

The PCs are employees of the Mercier Film Company, a film studio that used to dominate the silent era but have experienced a steady decline into obscurity since the advent of talkies. Maybe move setting to ‘30s/’40s for accuracy? Set roles, short description for each.

Director
Former Lead Actor/ress
Screenwriter
Casting Director
Stunt Double

Walk-on/Bit part?
Make-up/Wardrobe? - Still unsure
Head Camera Man? -
Understudy? - Too similar to Former lead

Honestly maybe just make everyone actors. Bit boring though. Could ditch set roles? But I want a tight group.

Maybe have a detective/reporter role. Don’t know how well it would work or fit in. Maybe have them be a key NPC the PCs report to at the end of every day?

Have the players DM me 2-3 secrets for their character. Tie them in to the mystery.

Add ‘Fatal Flaw’ section to CS. Use it against the PCs/tie it into the mystery. Maybe keep it a secret too? Or give players the option maybe?

How do you have complex, deeply flawed characters noir is knowen for without them being total 3deep5u edgelords?

Clues/Pacing/Keeping Things Intresting

Unsure how to go about dropping initial clues. Maybe Bella wrote the PCs a letter or something that has the clues.

Even better, in the week leading up to her death Bella was acting strange and had odd conversation with PCs. Give each person a short prompt and have them write their characters reaction/response to the conversation. Literacy test + drop clues.

Even Betterer, maybe combine the two?

Clues should be ‘wierd’/non-conventional/otherwise interesting

Mayber throw a couple of more normal ones in there to balance it out

Noir tends to be snappy, but might be hard to translate this without leaving people behind - Less roles then?

Time Limit - Maybe 4-7 days then the PCs are arrested. If things are still interesting towards end maybe give them a grace period.

Have clues/events happen after a certain amount of time has passed to keep PCs on their toes - Say the police raid their hotel on Wednesday and they lose everything inside.

Have inactive/left behind characters temporarily out of action - Was being tailed so had to lay low, in hospital for minor injuries, ect.

Kill off inactive characters after 1-2 weeks? If player comes back let them rejoin with new character.

Be cruel but not unfair? Keep sending the PCs back to square one (or close to it) but give the apparent options to semi-quickly progress back.

Have players submit 1-2 NPCs each (to be played by them) that have some sort of relation to their character. Use these as bait for drama/corpse fodder.

Things get too stale have men with tommy guns kick down the door lmao

Setting/Locations

It’s gotta be in LA, though maybe New Orleans could work?

Startout with the PCs hiding out in a dinky, rundown motel on the outskirts of town - Orange County maybe? Have that be their ‘base’.

Since they’re on the run maybe have the majority of the RP take place in the surrounding countys/less populated areas/farmland/etc. Build LA up as a shining ideal just out of reach - only let the PCs go there for the climax, if at all. Though that does throw a bit of a wrench in the clue department.

Do up a short history lession/cheatsheet to pin in discussion. Go over common slang, recent history/current state of LA, societal conventions and taboos, the basics of everyday life, etc.

Have the PC’s get kicked out of/denied acess to places and have to find
alternate ways in - could get stale

Who Dun It/Red Herrings

‘Seedy underbelly of the Dream Factory that is Hollywood’

Gotta make a flow chart to keep track of everything - what clues are red herrings, what ones pay off, which ones are related to which PC, etc.

Incorperate PC info/backstory into it. Personal mysteries are more intresting/higher stakes - some people might be iffy about that though?
Have them suspect eveyone?

Cast the PCs against each other - Don’ know how well this would work, maybe something reserved for the climax?

Maybe they never find out how actually did it? Like whoever it was had connections/it was organised by some bigwigs who put a stop to the PCs investigation and give them an easy out if the agree to forget all about it - could play into inter-PC betrayal?

Or they could find out who did it but the big wigs don’t want their involvement known. So the PCs cut a deal and throw the guy who did it, the reporter/detective NPC, and maybe another NPC or even PC under the bus and walk out clean.

Have them discover something they didn’t set out too, ala Chinatown.

Feeding this, have an A plot and a B plot.

Noir stories typically end messy with the characters either dead or fundamentally changes/broken. No happy endings here, at best lukewarm. Facter in player input for where they think their character might end up.

Have an element of surrealism to it all.

Have Bella be the femme fatale, manipulating the PCs from beyond the grave.

A cult or something to do with/involving wicca?

Corruption a must, maybe something to do with an actor’s union? - SAG was founded in ‘33 and the mob controlled a lot of unions/business involved in making movies at the time.

The prohibition was also repealed in ‘33.

Definaly involve a couple Rockerfeller types. - Maybe Bella is related to one of these Rockerfeller types and there is some big secret. Could make a good B plot.

Involve the construction of the Goldern Gate Bridge somehow.

Edited at April 20, 2022 08:38 PM by Vintage

Former Pack

Neutral

Give Award
Intresting/Important Links

Glossary of Hardboiled Slang (link)

Collection of old Cali maps (link)

Edited at April 20, 2022 12:38 PM by Vintage
Vintage & Ellyllon Planning ThreadApril 20, 2022 12:39 PM

Former Pack

Neutral

Give Award
res
Vintage & Ellyllon Planning ThreadApril 20, 2022 03:28 PM

Former Pack

Neutral

Give Award
Wow! This looks wonderful so far! Very detailed notes.

Since you're iffy on the roles you already have, here's a few other possibilities and how they may contribute to the plot:

Stunt double (this character would probably be quite athletic and/or flexible. A risk taker who will act first and ask questions later)

Casting Director (this character would know the actors rather personally, having picked them out from the auditions. They would probably know background info on the characters that the others are not privy to. Could be useful for drama, or not.)

Gaffer or Best Boy (the guy(s) that run all the lights and also serve as the cast's electrician. This character would have expert knowledge of electronics, probably only useful if the cast get locked in somewhere or the power goes out)

More on roles you already have:

A makeup artist might not be as useless of a role as you think. If the artist is assigned to a certain cast member (such as lead actress) they'd probably be good friends. After all, celebrities love to gossip and who better than the person caking your face and hair for hours on end? This could create a strong bond between actress and artist while also creating a disconnect between artist and the rest of the cast, which places more distrust on them from the cast (possibly some dislike as well as they might be seen as sucking up to the actress) and too much trust from the actress. Essentially just a decent role to stir up drama or set up a twist with.

Understudy may be a bit predictable, as these characters are typically portrayed as being jealous of the Main Actor and who will often try to sabotage them. A plot twist with them being bad would probably be rather anti-climatic because of this stereotype, but we could make it work in our favor. If they truely are jealous of the actress, a selfless act (such as sacrificing themself for said character) could be a rather exciting plot point instead. A redemption arc, if you will.

The lead detective should probably be an NPC? Or at least a character controlled by the writers as they seem like a crucial role that needs to be played a certain way. Expanding on this, the detective may have approached the cast first, either out of a gut feeling that the cast has been wronged, or for some sinister reason. The cast would probably be wary of him at first, but warm up the longer he helps out, which may make for a decent betrayal in the late roleplay.

Edited at April 21, 2022 07:16 AM by Ellyllon
Vintage & Ellyllon Planning ThreadApril 20, 2022 06:13 PM

Former Pack

Neutral

Give Award
I think I might’ve left this out of my notes so I’ll put it here.

Before the RP starts I'm going to have the players work out their relationships with each other, after all these people have been working together for years, and have the prompt be working out their relationship with Bella. I like giving/having free reign when it comes to character creation, you know, as long as you meet basic parameters go nuts basically. And I don’t want to infringe on their creativity by saying, oh your character has to have x personality, or, oh your character has to have y relationship with z. Each role is going to have a 1-2 sentence description that I was going to use to sort of lightly hint at the dynamic I’m looking for with that role, but nothing outright.

Hopefully, you get what I’m going for with this, I just want make sure we're on the same page.

-----------------

Stunt double; Honestly kicking myself for not thinking of this one. It fits so well. Stunt doubles normally resemble the actual actor pretty close, right? I think it would be really interesting to have the stunt double pretend to be Bella so the PCs can get more clues or something. Maybe they convince a guy he’s being haunted by her ghost?

Casting Director; I think this one fits pretty well too, I can totally see there being a, I don’t know, ‘dominance’ triangle between the casting director, the director, and the lead screenwriter over control.

Gaffer/Best Boy; I think on its own the role might be a bit bland, but if we include a cameraman role there could be an interesting dynamic. Though both roles are a little dry, I don’t think there’s much interesting you could do with them.

Makeup Artist; What makes this role interesting was the main reason I was kinda hesitant about having it - They’d know Bella really well. I figured it might be better to have them be an NPC who maybe comes to the PCs, gives them some info, then gets killed off. On the other hand, you’ve endeared me to it be a proper role, it does have a lot of interesting potentials. I’m just not sure.

Understudy; Yeah, I don’t think this one really works, too cliched and similar to the former star/let role. I still kinda want to have a younger actor/ress though. What about a walk-on/bit part? That’s how a lot of film careers started back in the day. There are a lot of angles you could take this, like instead of being jealous they saw Bella as a mentor, or the former star/let convinced/seduced/blackmailed them into sabotaging her. There could be some triangle dynamics if we throw in a secondary/supporting actor/ress role, though that might fall into the same pitfalls as the understudy.

Detective/Reporter; This is definitely more of a gamemaster role, for sure. I was thinking of having both and making the PCs choose between them. Say they’ve been working with the Detective for a couple days but he still wants more. Then one morning the Reporter pops up, says they know the PCs have been trying to find who really killed Bella, and they have information that might be useful. Before giving the PCs the info the Reporter warns them that the Detective is corrupt but doesn’t have any solid proof, and makes them an offer. If they tell them what they know they'll publish the story ASAP. Have the PCs choose and a couple of days later have there be consequences - for example, if they ignored the Reporter’s warning and stayed with the Detective then later on the Reporter is found dead, an apparent suicide. Maybe the Reporter didn’t give them all the info he had or he found new info and now the PCs miss out on that.

I do like your idea of having the Detective approach first though. Maybe tie it into the stunt double role? So something like the PCs goes to Bella’s apartment to try and find more clues, but since she’s an Actress she obviously lives in some swanky, high-security joint. News hasn’t publicly broken of her death yet, so the PCs send the stunt double in disguised as Bella to let them in through the fire exit or something. Then later when the Detective interviews the doorman that puts him onto the PCs.
Vintage & Ellyllon Planning ThreadApril 20, 2022 07:43 PM

Former Pack

Neutral

Give Award
Ah, yes. Sorry if I made it sound like I was attempting to control characters, those are just the possible dynamics I can see occurring. I'm all for letting players create their characters however they wish :)

Adding onto the above, do you have a literacy requirement in mind? I feel like something this intense/detailed should be literate but ultimately that's up to you.

I felt that Gaffer was a bit bland myself, they wouldn't really have much purpose in an RP like this, but it never hurts to toss ideas forward. Same goes for the understudy, but we could definitely work in your idea for a walk in. Makeup Artist could be one of the actor/ess's NPCs, it may work better than an actual character. And I love your idea for the Detective and Reporter!
Vintage & Ellyllon Planning ThreadApril 20, 2022 08:23 PM

Former Pack

Neutral

Give Award
Oh, nono, you’re fine :) Speculating dynamics and picking out roles based on the most interesting is fun, and you came up with some good ones. I just wanted to clear up any potental misunderstanding or whatever so we don’t end up halfway into this and realize we’ve both been planning a different sort of RP. I’ve done RPs before where it was all very rigid, and some people like that and it can be fun, I just don’t really like having set plans around dynamics or personalities that are reliant on players, because they’ll always surprise you.

As for literacy? Definitely literate/advanced lit. Originally I was thinking a 500 word minimum but I’ve been reminded how short 500 words is, so now I’m looking at a soft 700 maybe? Though going by the RPs on offer atm it dosen’t seem like people really do 700 minimums here, at least, not anymore. I don’t want to drive otherwise amazing players away but at the same time there’s a certain type/s of player I want to avoid having.

So I’m thinking it’ll be 700 minimum in the rules/signup thread to weed out the people who aren't a good fit, but once alll the roles are filled I’ll drop it down to something more maintainable - probably 500.
Vintage & Ellyllon Planning ThreadApril 20, 2022 09:24 PM

Former Pack

Neutral

Give Award
Wonderful idea. Sadly it is really difficult to find literate Roleplayers (in my experience at least), but when you do manage to fill it's amazing. I haven't participated in a literate roleplay in ages (not counting one I'm waiting in sign-ups for), so this is refreshing! And I know a handful of people who will most likely sign up when this goes live, lol.

700 seems like a good word count to hit, maybe split 350 in personality and 300 in appearance or vis-versa? Anything else we'd want on the sheets could be rather simple. 400-500 minimum wordcount in posts sounds good as well. Improper grammar and content are also important things to look out for, but I'm sure the sign-ups will weed those out rather quickly ^^

I've been browsing the rest of your notes as well, and I'll probably post something later to voice my opinions and ideas on everything you have, but for now I'm noticing a lot of things in 1933. If we're including most, if not all of that stuff, including the GGB construction (finished in 1937), then I think we should move the setting back to the early to mid 1930's to keep things consistant. This would also tie in your "business is bad because sound flims are booming" since Talkies came around mid-20's, early-30's.

Edited at April 20, 2022 09:31 PM by Ellyllon
Vintage & Ellyllon Planning ThreadApril 21, 2022 11:28 AM

Former Pack

Neutral

Give Award
So, I’ve never really had explicit minimums for appearance/personality before, my sheet is pretty bulky. From memory, most of my characters on it run 4k+, but that’s pretty normal for me in general, so for the bare minimum maybe ~1.5K? I’ll dig up a blank version so you can have a look. I could probably strip it back a bit, I’ve got to do a streamlined version anyway for the NPCs. If I was going to have a minimum though I think I’d just say your appearance + personality have to total 700 words and let people split it how they want.

As for the setting, yeah I’m definitely going to move it back. Either ‘34 or ‘35. Probably ‘34 just because most of the maps I’ve found are from ‘30-’32. It’s a small thing, but I like being able to reference something or set something somewhere and be able to go back and see that it existed or was like that at the time, and I think it sort of helps people to ‘visualize’ things too if you know what I mean.

Speaking of filling, how do you feel about reservations? I don’t like them, but I think they might be necessary here.

EDIT: Here it is. I tidied it up a bit. Let me know what you think.

Roleplay Example
Full Name
Role
Sexuality
Alignment
------------
Appearance
Personality
Aspirations
Fatal Flaw
Strengths
Weaknesses