Wolf Play : Barn Owl x Salem | Silent Woods
Chatbox
 Existence
06:54:36 Exist / Kuskyn
Thank you mister big foot for your generous donation of a jasmine to the chaos that is my hoard xD
 Saint
06:53:34 
guess its a sign to do my emoji marker system now rather than later..
 Existence
06:53:03 Exist / Kuskyn
Saint oh I've done that before xD Hits hard..
 Saint
06:51:29 
oh my god i just accidently deleted my team because i thought i had a team heal...
 Existence
06:47:30 Exist / Kuskyn
Lords above I can't find the wolf I want to find xD And do you think I can remember his name? Nope xD Ahh yes my night is going fantastic
 Saint
06:44:16 
morning chat
 purdy
06:43:25 
I finished my avatar!!!
 icemoons
06:42:57 slushy,ice,moon,
Rest in peace chat...
 icemoons
06:34:59 slushy,ice,moon,
katy

I'm tired... believe me I get it...
 distant-lands
06:32:27 katy | beetle
tonight? wow my perception of time is off.

this morning*
 Winterfell
06:31:10 She/her
Too many generations :/
-WP Click-
 distant-lands
06:30:59 katy | beetle
-Click-
i forgot i drew this until tonight lol xD added some highlights and now it looks like a brand new piece
 Vulpixles
06:30:48 Pixie, Vul | ♈
-WP Click-

Paws for this absolute beauty I got from Wolf Party the other day?
 icemoons
06:29:26 slushy,ice,moon,
hello my friends... I think I might be a bit too obsessed with Hazbin Hotel... I love it so much
 Arachne
06:27:01 Ara/Kat
paws? <3
-WP Click-
 Arachne
06:21:52 Ara/Kat
Katy
i know right? i love lil coincidences like that <3
 outkast
06:21:01 
thank you for informing me. ive been on a 3 year break and a lot is different. :)
 distant-lands
06:20:33 katy | beetle
Kat,
what a coincidence!
 Arachne
06:20:06 Ara/Kat
i just realised my second Envy died at the same age as the original, both at 20 :0
 distant-lands
06:19:53 katy | beetle
are* not is, oops.

Refresh

You must be a registered member for more
than 1 day before you can use our chatbox.
Quests
Alliance Battles
Challenges

Hourly Damage Variances
Brown Bear : +3
Black Bear : -5
Cougar : -4
    Fall   Day  Weather:  Sunny

Forums

→ Wolf Play is a fun game! Sign Up Now!

My Subscriptions
My Bookmarks
My Topics
Latest Topics
Following
Forums > Roleplay > 1x1
   1    2 

Barn Owl x Salem | Silent WoodsJune 21, 2024 11:56 AM

Barn Owl

Lightbringer

Give Award

It had been a week since her encounter with what she could only assume was The Twisted Smile. Emily certainly didn't fall for his "Axel Vexen" name. Something was really off and she knew it was best not to go back. But she would. She had to get her deer this year. She wouldn't return there next year though. At least not for hunting. This would be her last year hunting there. She could go back, however, to explore and hike. After all, he'd said she was welcome to return so long as she didn't kill anything. And if he didn't know about her taking a deer this year, she fully intended to return for recreation.

Emily was on the usual trail to her stand, nearing the abandoned cabins. She paused just at the edge of the clearing, looking at the overgrown structures. She'd been in each of them, taking pictures and notes as well. She'd even rifled through the abandoned belongings on occasion. It was interesting what had been left behind and the stories the belongings told.

Emily saw no one so she hurried through the clearing, not knowing Zahra was in the cabins. She tried to keep her footsteps light, in case he was nearby. She was quickly through the clearing and back in the woods. Emily kept her footsteps quiet and her eyes alert for the strange man. She didn't want him to know she was here.

Emily reached her stand and climbed up, shifting the rifle over her shoulder to make the climb easier. Once she reached the platform, she turned and settled the weapon on her lap as she had last week. She unsnapped her thermos and took a swig of her water. Emily heard a snap from the bushes across from her.

She raised her gun, prepared if it was a deer. Buck or doe, she'd take it. Emily just hoped that being wasn't close. She knew her shot would echo and be heard. But she didn't have a license for a bow so she'd had to return with her rifle.

A decent sized doe stepped out. Emily waited with bated breath for her shot. She needed the doe to get closer and turn so she could get the shot she needed. Emily took the safety off her rifle and aimed a little higher. The doe stepped closer, stopping occasionally to look around for a threat. But she finally stopped to graze. Turning, she presented Emily with the opportunity she needed. Emily pulled the trigger, the shot echoing throughout the forest.

The doe took off, crashing through the underbrush. She didn't make it far, falling and struggling before going still. Emily put the safety back on and waited for the doe to stop twitching before she climbed down from the tree. She hit the ground softly and walked over, kneeling down beside the deer to make sure she was dead. She was. "Thank you for your sacrifice.", Emily whispered, gently stroking her hand along the deer. "Your life will not be taken in vain. You died so I could survive another year. I will not waste any part of you. As that would be a waste of your life.", she said. She knew she'd had to take a deer both to limit the population but also to eat. But that didn't mean she enjoyed the task. Emily didn't do it for a trophy. She did it because it was part of her responsibility as a conservationist and she needed it.

Barn Owl x Salem | Silent WoodsJune 24, 2024 12:12 PM

Salem

Neutral

Give Award

Zahra had been enjoying a rare moment of solace among the rustling leaves and playful fox cubs when the sharp crack of a rifle shattered the peace. Instinctively, the cubs scattered, disappearing into the underbrush as Zahra's heart raced with alarm. He recognized the sound instantly—the unmistakable report of a gunshot echoing through the forest.

In an instant, he was on his feet, every muscle tense with urgency. Without hesitation, Zahra sprinted through the dense foliage towards the origin of the noise. His mind raced with a mix of dread and disbelief. He had known that particular doe—a gentle creature he had encountered countless times, always managing to steer her away from harm's way. She had become a symbol of resilience and trust in Zahra's eyes, a testament to his efforts to protect the vulnerable in the woods.

As he burst into the clearing, Zahra's eyes widened with fury. There she stood, Emily, beside the lifeless body of the doe he had come to care for. The anger that surged through him was raw and palpable. "What have you done?!" he roared, his voice laced with a combination of disbelief and seething rage. He stormed towards her, his hands clenched into fists at his sides.

"You killed her," Zahra accused, his voice trembling with emotion. "That deer trusted me, and I trusted you not to harm her." He paced back and forth, struggling to contain the storm of emotions raging inside him. "I saved her from danger countless times, only for you to take her life without a second thought." His words were sharp, each syllable punctuated by the weight of his disappointment and fury.

Emily's actions had shattered the fragile bond of trust Zahra had worked so hard to build with the creatures of the forest. The doe's lifeless form lay before him, a stark reminder of the consequences of Emily's decision. Zahra's gaze bore into her, searching for any sign of remorse or understanding, but all he saw was a defiant stance. His anger simmered beneath the surface, his heart heavy with sorrow and regret.

"You've changed these woods," Zahra continued, his voice filled with sorrow and accusation. "And not for the better." His hands clenched tighter, his body trembling with anger as he stared at Emily, his eyes burning with intensity.

With a fierce determination, Zahra stepped closer to Emily, his anger pulsing through every fiber of his being. Despite the fury in his voice and the fire in his eyes, a chilling smile curled his lips—a smile that spoke of cold resolve and a predator's instinct. He stood there, a towering figure of wrath and defiance, waiting for Emily's next move, leaving the air thick with tension and the forest echoing with the weight of their confrontation.

Barn Owl x Salem | Silent WoodsJune 24, 2024 01:23 PM

Barn Owl

Lightbringer

Give Award

Emily heard something coming before she saw it. But she could guess what it was. She figured it was The Twisted Smile. He'd been closer than she had realized and he'd heard the shot. He was coming for her now. But what stepped out was not the creature she remembered. Nothing could have prepared her for this sight. This was a monster from lore and nightmares. The Twisted Smile's true form. He looked like a half man, half goat. His hooves, hairy misshapen legs and the horns jutting from his head. Those orange eyes she'd but glimpsed before. This was truly frightening.

Emily froze when he roared. Any hope of not being detected and returning here for recreation only vanished. His outraged roar seemed to shake the forest, birds flying up into the sky and small animals racing for cover. It frightened her a little bit but she knew she deserved it.

Emily was about to claim responsibility for her actions when he hit her with the "That deer trusted me and I trusted you not to harm her." That one sunk deep and hurt. She truly regretted returning here now and taking the doe's life. But she doubted that would matter to him. Regret didn't make it right. It didn't bring the doe back.

Emily's actions had shattered the fragile bond of trust Zahra had worked so hard to build with the creatures of the forest. The doe's lifeless form lay before him, a stark reminder of the consequences of Emily's decision. Zahra's gaze bore into her, searching for any sign of remorse or understanding, but all he saw was a defiant stance. His anger simmered beneath the surface, his heart heavy with sorrow and regret.

Emily couldn't let him know she regretted her actions. She had a feeling that would make her look weak and prey-like in his eyes. And she knew she couldn't outrun him on her weak human legs. Emily wondered just how fast those powerful animal-like legs could carry him. He'd likely catch her easily. So she stood tall instead. If he didn't see her as weak, perhaps he'd let her go. She could tell him she was sorry and offer to make restitution once he released her.

Emily's fear reached another level when his eyes seemed to burn brighter in his fury. She tried to keep her tall stance and not cower before him. She thought if she showed an ounce of weakness, he'd kill her without a second thought.

Emily stood her ground when he stepped closer, despite all her instincts screaming at her to run. She stared up into his eyes, not letting an ounce of remorse or fear peek through the windows to her soul. The chilling smile that curled his lips struck another chord inside her, terrifying her to her very soul. There was the Twisted Smile she'd heard legend of. It was cold, calculating and predatory. Perhaps standing her ground hadn't been the best idea. "I-I'm sorry.", Emily said weakly, frightened. "I thanked the doe for her sacrifice. I can't restore her life but I can make good use of her so she didn't die in vain. To leave her here would be a waste of her body and soul. She'd have died for nothing. Let me take her and I promise I will never again hunt here. I will return for exploration and hiking only. I promise never to hunt in your woods again.", Emily said, doing her best not to look into his flaming orange orbs but failing miserably.

Barn Owl x Salem | Silent WoodsJune 24, 2024 01:46 PM

Salem

Neutral

Give Award

Zahra's anger blazed fiercely in the tranquil clearing, his usual composure cracking under the weight of betrayal. His voice reverberated through the woods, each word infused with deep-seated indignation that rustled the leaves above. "Pathetic human," he bellowed, his eyes flashing with fury. "You dare to take a life and call it a sacrifice? You understand nothing of true sacrifice!"

His form trembled subtly, the mask of calm slipping away to reveal the primal rage beneath. "That deer," he growled, his voice low and menacing, "was not yours to claim. It was under my protection, a creature I have sheltered and nurtured." Zahra's gaze bore into Emily's, challenging and intense. "Humans are fleeting, fragile creatures. Your lives are fleeting moments compared to ours. To meet your end at human hands, to be consumed by one—it is a death devoid of honor, devoid of purpose."

As he spoke, Zahra's figure wavered, the ethereal essence of his true form flickering like a candle in the wind. In moments, the majestic creature transformed into a man of striking presence, his eyes still holding a glint of unearthly wisdom. "Take your kill," he stated firmly, his voice now calm but tinged with lingering intensity. "But hear this, human. You are no longer welcome in these woods. Should you return, know that I will be watching, unseen yet ever present."

With a final, enigmatic smile that should send a chill down Emily's spine, Zahra turned and vanished into the depths of the forest.

Barn Owl x Salem | Silent WoodsJune 24, 2024 02:44 PM

Barn Owl

Lightbringer

Give Award

Emily cringed under the weight of his tone and words of betrayal. She knew now she'd been very wrong to return here and take a creature's life. She'd infuriated the guardian of this forest. And he was not one to be crossed. She should have listened and heeded his advice the first time. But it was too late now.

Emily didn't say anything more. To say more would make it worse for her, of that she was certain. She listened to him and knew it was wrong of her to kill. Emily knew then she likely wouldn't do it again. She didn't think she could bear to take another animal's life, knowing it meant something to someone. But that didn't mean she wouldn't return to the woods to explore, document and hike.

Emily stood still, letting him spout off. She wasn't going to make it worse by talking. Hearing him tell her to take her kill and leave, she was grateful he was letting her leave again. Alive. And with her kill. But looking at it now, Emily wasn't sure she wanted it. She couldn't stand to look at the poor thing, let alone take it with her to have it processed and force herself to eat it for the next year. She looked up at him, shocked when he said she was no longer welcome here. But she shouldn't have been. Of course he wouldn't welcome her back. Not now. Possibly not ever. Then he was gone with a last enigmatic smile that chilled her to her very core.

Emily wasn't going to waste precious time standing around. He'd said she could go and take the deer with her. She wasn't going to wait for him to change his mind and come back to her. Emily wasn't going to leave her either, knowing he was still watching and thinking he'd be more enraged if she did waste it and leave her here. Reluctantly taking the doe, she drug it with her and beat her retreat from the forest. Emily looked back once after she'd loaded the kill in her truck. Then she got in the cab and left, driving slowly away.

~One year later~

Emily hadn't been back to the forest since that day a little over a year ago. She'd heeded the Twisted Smile's words and had steered clear of his land. It turned out she hadn't been able to process and consume the doe. So she'd donated it to a homeless shelter for food for them.

Emily hadn't applied for a single fishing or hunting license in the past year. She hadn't been able to bring herself to take another life. Not even something as simple as a fish. She'd even become quieter and more goal oriented. Her coworkers and friends had noticed the change. Where she'd been an avid outdoorswoman and hunter before, she wasn't the same person. No one had dared to ask her what had happened in those woods that day.

Emily had kept to herself more this year. She hadn't been hiking or going outside hardly at all. She'd even quit her job as an outdoor tour guide and had started working more inside. Over the course of the past two months, Emily had started getting back into nature. She'd been out hiking and exploring again. Never in his forest though. True to her word, she would never hunt again. That was one thing she vowed never to do again. But she was off today and she was determined to return to his forest. Over the past year, she'd convinced herself it hadn't been real. She hadn't really seen the Twisted Smile. He hadn't threatened her. He hadn't been a monster. He wasn't real. It had been a nightmare, an illusion or even just a figment of her imagination.

Pulling up to the forest in her truck, Emily stopped and parked. She took a few calming deep breaths before she got out and grabbed her backpack. She shouldered it and locked her truck before starting back into the woods it had taken her a year to return to.

Edited at June 24, 2024 02:50 PM by Barn Owl
Barn Owl x Salem | Silent WoodsJune 24, 2024 03:34 PM

Salem

Neutral

Give Award

Zahra made his way along the winding paths deep into the heart of the woods, his steps cautious yet purposeful. These trails were well-worn by humans on their hunting forays, a reminder of the danger that lurked for the creatures he cared for. Since Emily's accidental killing of his deer friend, Zahra had taken it upon himself to patrol these paths diligently. Only two other humans had crossed him since then, meeting fates that saw them disappear from human society.

In the quiet of the woods, the rhythmic tap-tap-tapping of a woodpecker echoed softly around him, a soothing backdrop to his thoughts. Zahra's senses were attuned to the forest's sounds—the rustle of leaves, the whisper of the wind, and the occasional scuttle of small animals in the undergrowth. As he walked deeper into the dense foliage, he spotted Jubilee, the Sphynx cat he had taken in. Abandoned by a human who no longer wanted her, Jubilee had adapted to life in the wild. Zahra approached her quietly, offering a small bowl of water and a handful of food, which she accepted gratefully. He knelt beside her, his touch gentle as he stroked her smooth skin, offering comfort and companionship in their shared solitude.

Nearby, a family of red foxes emerged cautiously from the shadows, their sharp barks alerting Zahra to Emily's return. They communicated with him through a series of urgent yips, letting him know of the human intruder in their territory. Zahra acknowledged them with a nod, his face unreadable as he continued towards the forest's edge.

Reaching a concealed spot behind towering trees and dense foliage, Zahra took a deep breath and shifted seamlessly from his dragon form to that of a human male. Hidden in the shadows, his eyes remained fixed on the edge of the forest, scanning for any sign of Emily. Memories of their previous encounter lingered in his mind, mixed with apprehension about her return. He knew she likely had no memory of their past interaction, but the boundaries she had crossed remained clear in his thoughts.

Before resuming his watch, Zahra spent a few moments with Jubilee, ensuring she had enough to eat and drink. He gently petted her once more, his touch conveying care and a silent promise to protect her and the other creatures of the woods. With a final glance towards the forest's edge, Zahra settled into his vigil.

Barn Owl x Salem | Silent WoodsJune 24, 2024 04:13 PM

Barn Owl

Lightbringer

Give Award

Emily tried to keep herself calm as she entered the forest she'd never intended to step foot in again. It hadn't been real. It was a nightmare. Or a figment of her imagination. She was just being silly. It was unusually quiet but maybe that was just because of her presence.

She wandered the familiar paths, heading for the all too familiar abandoned cabins. They were more overgrown than she remembered. But the doors were still open. She went inside, looking to see if anyone else had visited recently. The heavy dust seemed to have been disturbed in places. The furniture was still in its usual places. The utensils, pots, pans and books didn't seem to have moved. With one exception.

Emily stopped at the pile of books. These looked like they'd been disturbed and something seemed to be missing. But she couldn't put her finger on what. Leaving that cabin, she moved on to the second. Then the third. And the fourth was last. Once she left that one, she continued on exploring the woods.

She didn't come with the intent to kill anything. She'd come to explore and get over her fear of these woods. The idea that she'd really seen and interacted with the Twisted Smile couldn't be true. Emily needed to know it hadn't been real. Then she could return to her love of the woods and the Emily she'd once been.

Leaving the clearing with the cabins, she made her way back up her usual path to her old deer stand. It was gone now. Emily told herself it was from a year of being abandoned. But she knew deep down a year wouldn't have taken that much of a toll on a deer stand. Leaving that clearing, she returned to the trail to keep hiking through this forest she'd so feared.

Barn Owl x Salem | Silent WoodsJuly 13, 2024 12:21 PM

Barn Owl

Lightbringer

Give Award
CLOSED
Salem won't answer
Barn Owl x Salem | Silent WoodsJuly 13, 2024 04:37 PM

Salem

Neutral

Give Award
Not yet, I do still want to do this

Forums > Roleplay > 1x1