Wolf Play : Animation Guide and Q&A
Chatbox
 Caeruleum
02:27:04 Cae, Blue
-WP Click-
speaking of retirement... pretty pretty man but i have no use for him... bone? <.<
 kycantina
02:26:52 ky but it's spooky
Amy! Was just about to PM you, how many moves are we aiming for with the FMC domination goal?
 Caeruleum
02:26:11 Cae, Blue
44r ac 2g albino, thats a no retirement wolf <.<
 Amygdala
02:25:46 Amy/Anpmygdala
Hi hallow, hi ky
 Amygdala
02:25:13 Amy/Anpmygdala
Purse
I would't she is pretty
 Existence
02:24:42 Exist / Kuskyn
Purgatory depends
 kycantina
02:24:37 ky but it's spooky
Purgatory, yeah I would.
Also hi chat
 Amygdala
02:24:31 Amy/Anpmygdala
-Click-

Thus is cae at the moment XD
 Purgatory
02:23:20 Purge/Purse/Pug
Should I retire her? I need den space
-WP Click-
 Hallow's Eve
02:22:57 Hallow, Eve
Good afternoon chat
 Caeruleum
02:21:14 Cae, Blue
Overall Space left in this den: 11 spots for wolves.

i am not fine 😭

but yeah, tempted to go for all dud litters this game year :')
 Amygdala
02:20:54 Amy/Anpmygdala
Khaos
Sure thing
 Amygdala
02:20:24 Amy/Anpmygdala
Cae
Eh....that's less than 200...you're fine lol
 Azrael
02:19:57 Ash, Khaos
Is anyone available to chat for a little while (please)?
 Crescent Nightwalker
02:18:30 Aurora / Crezzie / L
@Vulpixies,
Squee!
Show me raptors! Can I see?
 Vulpixles
02:16:45 Pixie, Vul | ♈
Kinda heartbroken no one likes my raptors
 Caeruleum
02:16:11 Cae, Blue
amy, uh-

134 :)
 Caeruleum
02:15:48 Cae, Blue
marsh, could not be me with 20 max battle, under 525be wolves LMAO
 Amygdala
02:15:11 Amy/Anpmygdala
Cae
Should i even ask how many females you have 😅
 Caeruleum
02:14:27 Cae, Blue
bruh 80ish unbred females. i really should size down e.e

Refresh

You must be a registered member for more
than 1 day before you can use our chatbox.
Quests
Alliance Battles
Challenges

Hourly Damage Variances
Komodo Dragon : +1
Wolverine : +1
Cougar : +5
    Winter   Day  Weather:  Sunny

Forums

→ Wolf Play is a fun game! Sign Up Now!

My Subscriptions
My Bookmarks
My Topics
Latest Topics
Following
Forums > Artwork > Art Help

Animation Guide and Q&AAugust 1, 2019 10:15 PM

Wilverbeast

Lightbringer

Give Award
So, as you may know, I do art.
If you don't, well, okay.
Now you do :)

One of my main things is that I make animated art and animations,
so here I'm going to give some advice, tips, how to start and such.
Note: I am not an expert, this is all based of my personal experience throughout the years.

I know it's kinda long, but I hope you guys enjoy and find this useful. ^^

Edited at August 1, 2019 10:26 PM by Wilverbeast
Animation Guide and Q&AAugust 1, 2019 10:17 PM

Wilverbeast

Lightbringer

Give Award
First off, the difference between animations, and animated art.
They're pretty much the same, and arguably actually are the same, but for me, there is a difference.
Animated art has an animation within the art, meaning it's extra detail or just something small to catch the eye.
An example is this piece I did for Shiro
The main focus of this is the character, I even have a still version.
It's a simple 10+ frames I believe, with half of those just being repeats in the opposite order.

Another is the 'Bounce Wolf' gifs I have made. The main focus is the character, shading, etc., but there is a small animation aspect.

This here, a year old entry for an art contest hosted by Deja Vu, is an animation.
This entire thing is animated, and the focus was what's being told/going on in it. There is never a still moment.
It was over 120 frames in total.
I've also done a history project, which was 42 seconds in length, that was a whopping 640+ frames.

These are two extremely black and white examples though,
and this is just personally how I see things. You can animate however you want. ^^

Edited at January 1, 2020 07:32 PM by Wilverbeast
Animation Guide and Q&AAugust 1, 2019 10:19 PM

Wilverbeast

Lightbringer

Give Award
Types of Animations:

Now I've done a variety of animating since I've been doing it for several years. The main on I do is frame by frame, which is by far probably the trickiest, though extremely common. That would be the Piece I made for Shiro or the contest entry. For Shiro's piece, I erased the tail and eye lineart, and only redrew those pieces.
For the contest entry, I redrew every frame.
The second type is what I call 'Blink' animations.
They're simple, switching between either several poses, or expressions, and are often short and looped.
These are quite simple and fun, though aren't as much animation as animated art.

The third I'm going to show you is pixel animations, which I am extremely new at.
These are simple little pixel drawings, mostly with head bobbing, or limited movement.
What makes them so smooth is because they're so small, each pixel is an individual piece and for the bobbing is only moved one pixel at a time. The linework is quite a bit tedious though, as for it to look like pixel art pixels can't touch each other unless it's for one single line.

Edited at January 1, 2020 07:33 PM by Wilverbeast
Animation Guide and Q&AAugust 1, 2019 10:19 PM

Wilverbeast

Lightbringer

Give Award
Vocab

Onion Skin Mode:
The ability to see the layer underneath and on top of the layer you're currently on. Is almost always an automatic feature in all pure animation programs. Flipaclip is a great example.

Layers:
The different levels or pieces of an art piece. It is suggested to merge all layers of shading+lineart into one piece before you use onion skin mode.

Frame:
The pieces of an animation are referred to as frames.

Frame by Frame:
The process and type of animation where each frame is individually drawn.
Animation Guide and Q&AAugust 1, 2019 10:23 PM

Wilverbeast

Lightbringer

Give Award
How to Start

I'll be using my Sleeping Daisy animation as an example, as it only has a few layers, and I have the file with all the layers together.

I use Firealpaca for all my art, but you may use whatever program you like. With Firealpaca it's easier for beginning animators because it has a built-in Onion skin mode, which is key to see how your layers fit together. If you don't have Onion Skin mode as an option in your art program, fear not!
You can easily lower the opacity of your layers so you can see the one above and below.
Firealpaca also has an option to automatically export the layers. More on this later.
Since I'm doing a simple pixel animation, I'm just going to duplicate my layer. In a frame by frame, I would completely redraw it, giving it a much more organic look.
I'm going to select what I'm moving up, which includes her snout and spot. If I didn't include her snout and spot, the animation would look something like this.
While that's alright, it looks a bit unnatural. If the pig's spot and nose are part of her body, wouldn't they move up with it?
(*This is the main error I made with Shiro's character. It was my first tail-flick, and I didn't redraw the stripes every time, causing it to look unnatural and odd. By the time I noticed, I had already drawn the other frames and merged them*)

Next, I just dragged those layers up by one pixel. I turn off Onion skin mode during this, but you may do as you like.
But what's this?
There are transparent pixels in the frame! No worries, just fill them up.
I repeat this one more time, going up by only one pixel.
Right now the animation looks like this.

See how I named each layer? I duplicate layer 1 and 2 and place them behind layer 3.

In Firealpaca, you can see how the animation looks at any given time with autoplay.
The animation goes a bit fast for my taste, so I duplicate 1 several times to give time between breaths.

Now time to export! In Firealpaca, you can export layers with Onion Skin mode. This automatically saves every frame and names it in order. You select a folder. I always save with a transparent background, though you may do what you like.

When putting together the animations I use Alpaca Douga, which is what goes free with Firealpaca. It has great quality, and you can even resize things! I find this very useful as I draw on a larger canvas, ex 600x600, but can choose 50% and get a 300x300 for an avatar. You can also choose the speed, and add frames as you go along The downsides are you can have 64 frames max, and it automatically gives it a white background.

For this, I used Ezgif because I wanted a transparent background, as I use this animation in my bio.
Now I have my animation! Ezgif is free as well, but it has horrible quality. I usually wouldn't use it, as it eats up details, but because this was pixel art it was alright. I set the speed to roughly 5 layers per second.

But wait! Wolfplay makes you credit your art, so we're not done yet! I use gifgifs to add credits to my gifs. This is a lot easier than writing your pack number on every frame. The one thing is it does bring down quality quite a bit with larger and complexly shaded pieces.

Here's Shiro's piece again, with and without gifgifs text.
As you can see, very tiny pixels move around in the one with credits.
(*This is no excuse not to put credits. If the quality bothers you that much, you will be able to write it on each and every frame, or at least a majority so it's able to be seen*)

That's all I have. ^^
This honestly took me several hours as I tried to make it as clear as possible.
If you have any questions, please ask! I'll be happy to answer. :)

Edited at January 1, 2020 07:38 PM by Wilverbeast
Animation Guide and Q&AAugust 1, 2019 10:26 PM

Wilverbeast

Lightbringer

Give Award
Reserve

Forums > Artwork > Art Help

Refresh

Copyright ©2013-2024 Go Go Gatsby Designs, LLC    All Rights Reserved
Terms Of Use  |   Privacy Policy   |   DMCA   |   Contact Us