thanks!
 Floof
02:42:19 Floodgates
She's really pretty :0
 distant-lands
02:40:47 katy | beetle
-WP Click-
paws? :)
i need to figure out what other gear/decor would look nice..
 Floof
02:29:18 Floodgates
Yes, I still have things to get done today xD
 Kháos
02:28:15 Kaos || Khaos
Hopefully you were able to get some good things done at least!
 Revelry
02:26:11 Rev
Also, why do I always forgot to set forum's post to Paragraph before posting lol
 Floof
02:25:06 Floodgates
Khaos,
Oh my! I get that. It took me forever to fall asleep lastnight, I had too much energy :")
 Tribe of Crying Hawk
02:24:39 
Wow.. Fluffy Floof. Floofy Fluff. Hm.
 Revelry
02:24:32 Rev
-WP Click-
Vote? I'm bored
 Kháos
02:24:21 Kaos || Khaos
Yes
 Tribe of Crying Hawk
02:24:04 
Um, excuse me, but can you 'steal another packs food?
 Floof
02:24:00 Floodgates
Hawk,
That's what I'm told xD
 Kháos
02:23:59 Kaos || Khaos
I'm doing great! Should probably be asleep by now (I woke up 14 hours ago and haven't slept since; 2:24 for me-), but I have so much energy right now. :,D
 Tribe of Crying Hawk
02:22:46 
Floof! You are fluffy! Somehow
 TheSigmaMales
02:22:34 Leon, Sigma
Hey chat

I donÂ’t normally chat, but I gotta brag about the fact that I just got an Alexandrite Dye 3 apples in from Bree 😳

My luck has never been this good what
 Floof
02:21:53 Floodgates
I've not long been awake but doing okay ^^'
How about you?
 Tribe of Crying Hawk
02:21:30 
Does anyone here like Erin Hunter? :]
 starrywing
02:21:09 Novo/Starry
hehe pretty
-Click-
 Kháos
02:20:42 Kaos || Khaos
How's your day/night going so far, Floof?
 Floof
02:20:40 Floodgates
Hey Aedra! :)

Refresh

You must be a registered member for more
than 1 day before you can use our chatbox.
Quests
Alliance Battles
Challenges

Hourly Damage Variances
Ocelot : 0
Jaguar : -3
Cheetah : -4
    Winter   Day  Weather:  Light Snow

Forums

→ Wolf Play is a fun game! Sign Up Now!

My Subscriptions
My Bookmarks
My Topics
Latest Topics
Following
Forums > Roleplay > 1x1
   1    2    3 

Terebinth X EdlingApril 3, 2023 09:40 PM

Edling

Neutral

Give Award

While it wasn’t necessarily Teren’s intention to pry, it was faintly entertaining to see the reaction Rose had before she elaborated. Mathew. He kept that name in mind. The explanation to the nickname made enough sense to him though. Personally he could never imagine someone using his middle name as a nickname- then again, he didn’t like his first name being butchered much either. And just as he had that thought, Rose made an actually relevant deduction of his own character… an accurate one at that. The male gave a thin smile, one that expressed whatever was on the border of intrigue and amusement as apologized. “Don’t worry about it, you’d be right though- I’m not too into nicknames.” He stated, affirming that he would appreciate having his first name being used with him, and in turn he would simply call her Rose. She didn’t really look like an ‘Alex’ anyway, not that his opinion mattered much.

As she shifted, Teren managed to take a moment to lean himself against the post of the bed as he both watched and further listened to Rose. A raise of his brow and what could have been a twitch of a smirk pulling at his lips was given in response to what she said, though he had noted the way she corrected herself. Teren liked flexibility with rules though, because he is certainly an individual to push back against anything he feels is too constricting. But she was rather quick to connect her gaze directly to him to establish there would be no “bad doings” here; Teren gave a roll of his eyes, though there was still a flicker of a smile on his face. “Well, it’s not like I have access to the bad things I might or might not have done.” He responded, poking a little fun at what she said. Teren was pleased to hear when his meals would be though, he was rather fond of eating.

Teren’s eye contact didn’t relent even as hers bounced around the room, but that’s just the kind of person he is- one that retains near intense eye contact with anyone he feels are worth even sticking around a conversation for. In some ways, Teren is pretty straightforward. If he really doesn’t want to be around someone, or listen to what they have to say, he’ll just simply walk away. Eye contact is one of the few ways he communicates with people if he isn’t speaking. It took only a second for Teren to raise a brow in response to Rose… watching him. “I’m just going to pretend that’s not one of the creepiest things that’s ever been said to my face.” Teren replied, though he did fix his arms to cross over his chest. Being watched constantly was not something he was used to either, and he wasn’t exactly comfortable with the thought. But Teren isn’t exactly an individual that gets angry necessarily when things don’t go his way or according to plan, he simply deviates a way to make his circumstances more favorable. Was Rose seriously the person expected to watch him? Either her father really hated her, or this was a sick joke. In the nicest way possible Rose was not someone Teren could take too seriously. She looked softer inside and out, not to mention the nerves he could see blatantly affecting her.

Teren wondered how much she even knew about him, surely at least Marcus did if he was willing to have him here to begin with. There is no way the state didn’t send over a sealed report of his acquired record sheet so far, and Teren would bet that Mills had already expressed his concerns about what things Teren would be exposed to out here to Marcus beforehand. If Teren had to guess, it was probably stuff like, ‘I don’t wanna hear he’s betting or gambling- the kid’ll hustle every person here out of every dollar in their pocket if they give him the chance,’ and things like, ‘the state sees this place as a soft rehab, call me if you catch him with anything other than those stupid cancer sticks.’ Sometimes Teren wondered whether Mills had symbolically adopted him or something, because he certainly acted more like a concerned and overbearing parent in regards to Teren than just an officer. Shaking those thoughts off, Teren did not refrain from expressing his dismay when Rose gave the option of joining the other boys. After a moment of internal debate, ultimately Teren came to an answer with a light shrug. “Looking at horses seems pretty chill to me,” he answered, pushing himself off of the bed he had been leaning against, “I can’t say I’m looking forward to riding one or anything, but baby steps- right? Besides, I don’t think you could really force me into anything… even if you tried.” Teren offered a small smile and a wink after that statement, his stride beginning towards the door to show he was ready to go.

Teren didn’t really have anything against horses, it was just the fact that he was being exposed to several new things at once that was a bit… unsettling to the male. He couldn’t imagine himself enjoying getting bucked off by a horse or something either. And as unpopular an opinion it is; Teren wasn’t too fond of animals to begin with. The guy has never owned a pet in his life, but he didn’t really feel like anything deserved having to depend on him for anything. In the past he might have had run-ins with the occasional stray dog or cat, but Teren never let himself get attached to them. And horses were just uncharted territory completely to him. All the more reason he wasn’t exactly thrilled to be involved with one.

Terebinth X EdlingApril 3, 2023 11:41 PM

~Terebinth Wolves~

Lightbringer

Give Award
Rose couldn't help feel relieved that Teren took her deduction well. Sometimes -very rarely- she had pretty correct ideas about people. Again, it was pretty rare, but when they accrued, they were usually always right. But just because they were right, dosent mean people liked them. She smiled back at Teren and unlike her previous attempt, this smile was real. With Teren's next words, Rose couldn't help but lightly scoff. "One can get into trouble anywhere. Trust me, ive had to live here for two years." She shot back playfully. Once she said that, she realized she had let down her guard alot just with that one playful tease. She eternally scolded herself, knowing she would probably have to be tougher than that to be Teren's mentor. Still, it had been forever she since had someone to be playful with. Ever since she left her old house, she left her friends. Technically they could text, but none of her old friends seemed to want to.
Rose reminded herself Teren would eventually be leaving, and all thoughts of a real friendship vanished. Besides, she wasn't that desperate to visibly want to be friends with someone like Teren. Rose ignored his comment about the watching thing and skipped straight to the thing she loved most, horses. "Alright, awesome." She said, already taking a step towards the door even though Teren was still talking. She then stopped in her tracks when Teren brought up she couldn't actually make him do anything. "There's so many things i could say to that, but i’m just going to pretend that’s not the most someone has underestimated me to my face." She said, deciding to give him some of his own medicine. Nevertheless, you could tell she was just joking and she actually wasn't offended in the least. She returned Teren's smile before finally walking out of the door.
"Once you get to know them, you'll realize that they actually aren't that bad." She said, touching back onto what Teren had said about the horses. "It's definitely helps to get to know the horse your riding. It will just help smooth things out. But im sure once you have a few lessons, you'll be as crazy about them as i am. Or you'll atleast be calm around them." Two things you should never get Rose started on if you dont want to stay awhile is horses and just being playful in general. She almost always has to come up with a come back or tell you anything she knows about horses. And my dear Terren, you have hit both of those. Rose quickly passed the rowdy boys and opened the door to the outside world. Once she made sure Teren was behind her, she turned her sights on the barn.
"Most of our horses are very calm but just to let you know, horses can feel emotions. Even if your super good at hiding them from people, horses will know. Anyways, they sometimes tend to act on your feelings so don't focus on being scared but instead, having a good time when it comes time for riding. But horses are absolutely amazing. They are the best of friends even when people decide they could care less. They are good listeners and, well alot of other things. But im sure you dont necessarily want to hear anything and everything about horses so ill stop talking. " She said, suddenly realizing she had done it again. She probably scared the poor guy, now. The young female then walked the rest of the way in silence, every once in a while, stealing a glance at Teren.
When they arrived at the barn, Rose opened the doors with enthusiasm. She paused for a minute, letting the man survey the area before moving towards the horses. She would introduce the other school horses later, for now she wanted to show off her babies. "Hey, Shadow. Hey, Honey." She greeted in a cheerful voice as she reached them. "This is Shadow. He's my arabian gelding." She said, rubbing his forehead. The gelding snorted at Teren, pawing the ground. Rose rolled her eyes and moved onto Honey. "Dont mind my cranky old man. But this is Honey, my quarter horse mare. You can pet her if you'd like, but I'd let Shadow get to know you a little bit first." She said before raising a playful eyebrow at Teren and said, "Its a rumor horses can tell if your a good person or not. I wonder what you are." Rose immediately smiled after this, showing she was only teasing.

Edited at April 4, 2023 11:35 AM by ~Terebinth Wolves~
Terebinth X EdlingApril 10, 2023 06:48 PM

Edling

Neutral

Give Award

(Sorry it's late <3)

A brow raised in response to the swirl of both curiosity and amusement he felt from Rose’s response about finding trouble. “I wish I could believe you… but you just don’t strike me as someone who actually knows how to get into trouble.” He said passively, throwing a shrug -or in other words- completely playing off that he didn’t believe her. Teren’s angle was baiting Rose into a position of defending her answer by proving him wrong, and showing him herself what kind of trouble was available to get into. It would save him in the future; pinning the blame on a bad supervisor should he himself get caught or in trouble. But whether Rose was as naive as she appeared was something Teren was feeling out right now as well. How much could he get away with under her watch? Teren was learning the boundaries… as well as the loopholes.

From what he’s observed from Rose thus far, he had concluded that she was more of a reserved, yet playful individual. One that could use a little more confidence, and perhaps was lacking a bit in being assertive and having a higher self-esteem… but Teren was only coming to conclusions from what he’s seen of her so far. He can only know so much about a person in the matter of a few moments. If he had a moral conscience he’d probably feel guilty about thinking about all the ways he could use Rose to his own advantage. But he didn’t, so he didn’t feel bad.

“It won’t be the last time someone does.” Teren responded with a faint smirk, following her own near sassy retort to him about being underestimated. He silently gave props to the girl though; she made good use of spinning his own words back onto him. Was Rose aware of the fact that she certainly looked like a safe person to underestimate? He supposed it would be a matter of time before she proved his own judgments of her right or wrong though. She was being playful with him regardless, and it was at the very least entertaining. His amusement with Rose was something he was confident wouldn’t subside for quite some time.

As they walked, Teren simply let Rose’s words fill the void between them. She was passionate about horses from what he could tell as he listened, he was almost sorry he had decided on looking at them in fact. He did snort in opposition when she said he could get to the point of being as crazy about them as she is. For one; he doubted anyone cared more about horses then she did. And second; he knew himself well enough to know horses were just not his thing. And as Rose continued talking, it only made Teren more uneasy about them. It was in his nature to conceal his emotions from others and only display what he wanted someone else to see, and quite honestly he was quite sure Rose was being factual; how could a horse detect hidden emotions anyway? It’s a horse. It made no sense to Teren, but he certainly didn’t want to say that to Rose and risk listening to a twenty minute rant on the subject.

“You can keep talking. I’m only half-listening anyway.” He replied after she had announced she would be quiet, and while he had in fact been listening quite intently, he didn’t see the relevance of letting her know that. Teren made a point to linger behind Rose a bit though upon reaching the barn as he watched her open the doors. After a moment, Teren’s hands found themselves stuffed into his jean pockets as he followed Rose inside -the girl not wasting a second before greeting horses like they were people. The first one, Teren decided, he didn’t like. The male took a step back as Shadow snorted at him, although Teren was mostly making space because he didn’t know what to make of that kind of behavior coming from a horse. Teren’s gaze traveled to the next horse -Honey- and while this particular horse didn’t appear threatening to Teren, he just didn’t possess the desire to want to pet it. It only solidified his mindset of not wanting to get on one too. The male turned his head to Rose at her raised brow and comment, and he smirked in response. “I’d rather not find out now then… I’m a sucker for suspense.” Teren winked, drawing back a few steps from the horses to make the silent point that he really no longer wanted to be near them.

Teren knew they had time to kill, and if he was already this displeased with everything this ranch offered to pass the time with, he couldn’t imagine being here for longer than a week. Boredom and uncertainty were gnawing at his psyche, but despite his displeasure with his outlook here, it was considerably better than the alternative he supposed. “Have you been around horses your whole life?” Teren asked nonchalantly, but he hoped to count on Rose’s ability to talk a lot about horses to pass the time. Even if he chose to not really listen, at least it would hopefully keep her busy enough to not turn any questions onto him.

Terebinth X EdlingApril 10, 2023 08:18 PM

~Terebinth Wolves~

Lightbringer

Give Award
(Your fine :) )
Rose couldn't help but laugh with Teren's reply, quite amused. "That's not what i meant. I meant ive seen what the.." Rose stopped herself, wondering if the delinquents liked being called delinquents. Probably not, and again she didn't want to make anyone angry. "Ive seen what the kids can do to get in trouble. I could probably write a book on it if i wanted." With Teren's next words, Rose shrugged. "Your probably right. But im fine with that. It just means they will be more surprised when i prove them wrong." Despite Teren saying she could continue to talk, she felt weird about it so she didn't. No one that she knew wanted to listen to someone ramble and she didn't want to make a fool of herself either.
Rose silently laughed at Teren's response. "I do like a good mystery so i suppose we can wait until tomorrow." She said, giving the mare one last pat before taking a step back. She was fully aware Teren seemed like he didn't want to be here anymore -which made her a bit sad- but she understood people didn't always like animals. Especially big ones, because they were almost always scared that they would get stepped on. She doubted that was what Teren was worried about though because for one, the horses were in a stall. For two, she simply just didn't think that. At Teren's question, she shrugged. She nodded towards the barn door -silently asking Teren to follow- before she began to walk. "No." She finally answered with a sigh. Whenever someone started her on this subject, she almost always accidentally turned towards her mom. Usually because she wished her mother could see what a champion she has been. And she's almost certain that her mother would have loved horses too. At night, sometimes she would dream that her mom was riding by her. It didn't help she felt weird talking about herself specifically. Still, she wanted to make Teren feel at home as much as possible.
"When i was ten we moved here and that's when i fell in love with horses and shared a space with them. Ever since ive been learning as much as i can and training as hard as i can." A smile then flicked on her face as she thought about her competitions. Even though they could be stressful for some people, it was fun for Rose. "I've even won a couple of medals. Shadow is my main competition horse and he is an amazing shower even if he has an aditude. I think i owe that to the person who gifted him to us but i think i have a small part in his leveling up. But still, i promise it will feel great to ride once you get used to horses. Jumping over a fence is the most amazing feeling in the world. It's like your truly flying." She paused for a second, a small smirk appearing on her face as she thought about Joise talking to Teren.
"Just ask Josie, er one of the kids that are here. She will love to tell you all about it. If you thing im an annoying talker, just try talking to her."
At the thought of being an annoying talker, Rose quieted. That was fine though, because they were at Rose's destination. Okay, so maybe she wanted to prove to Teren that she wasn't a pushover, but atleast it would help other people. From what she observed from the other delinquents, the mentors had to prove they were someone to respect and listen to otherwise no one would be happy. With that being her sole purpose, Rose opened the door to her house. "Just wait and see." She said, guessing Teren was about to ask what they were doing. Rose led the way into the kitchen and was greeted by the wonderful smell of chicken strips and whatever eles was cooking. "Hey, Rose. I see your father-" Rose sighed loudly, interrupting the plump man. "Yes he did. Go spread the word if you have to. But anyways, me and Teren are here to help." The man known as Regan's eyes sparkled. "I dont know how such a fine girl like you ended up in a dump like this. If your mo-" Luckily Regan was stopped from talking about Rose's mother because a timer beeped. Rose let out a relieved sigh, not wanting to talk about her mother.
"This place isn't a dump, Regan. It's home. And it's home to more than just me." She said, grabbing an oven mit and taking the chicken out of the oven. "Your too good for this world, Rose. Make sure people" He gave Teren a look "dont ruin that." Rose shook her head, a smile on her face. "You know i wont let that happen. Besides, Teren might actually be a good person. He hasn't been judged by the horses yet." She teased, the horse judging thing being a joke for practically the whole property. Regan gave out a hearty laugh before going serious again. "Dinner is almost done. Could you too go make the salad and then help get things set up?" Rose nodded eagerly. "Yep!" She said cheerfully before Teren could protest. While Regan went back to work, Rose gave Teren a smirk before opening the fridge door. She grabbed out a huge salad bowl and handed it to Teren. "Put it on the counter please." Part of her wanted Teren to refuse to see if her technique to get him to cooperate would actually work and prove she was ready for this. But the other part was worried it wouldn't work and therefore wanted Teren to go along with her wishes.

Edited at April 29, 2023 11:31 PM by ~Terebinth Wolves~
Terebinth X EdlingAugust 12, 2024 12:37 AM

Edling

Neutral

Give Award

Teren inclined his head curiously as Rose failed to finish her initial thought. While the manner of his gaze prompted her to continue, he didn’t verbally encourage it. Instead, he settled for what she decided to say in an effort to recover from whatever she had decided to omit. “That might be a book I’d sit down to read,” he commented half-heartedly. The acknowledgment Teren gave to Rose’s next comment was a hum of thought. He couldn’t see himself being wildly surprised if Rose managed to disprove his own theories he’s managed to form about her, but nonetheless, it would still be surprising to, at the very least, a mild degree.

Grateful Rose had given into his desire to withdraw from the horses for the meantime, and maybe forever if he sat down to pray, the young man watched her for a quiet moment as she bid the horse a farewell pat. His blue gaze lingered on the beast before him before he complied with Rose’s gesture to follow her. As she began to elaborate in detail as they walked about when she had moved out here and how she came to be around horses, Teren at least gave her the courtesy of fully listening. There wasn’t anything remarkably notable in anything she said, only the still present lack of mentioning a mom, but that was far from something he would press on. A snort of disagreement is how Teren chose to counter Rose’s suggestion of him enjoying anything that had to do with riding a horse. If it meant missing out on the experience of feeling like he was flying, he could live with that. People were meant to stay on the ground anyway.

As they seemed to have reached wherever Rose had led them, a curious expression was thrown her way from Teren. In return, he was given a vague answer, but with a roll of his eyes, he followed behind her. The journey to the kitchen was uneventful at the very least. A benefit to this place, Teren deduced, might be the food if it tasted as good as it smelled. As Rose conversed with who he assumed to be some kind of chef, Teren kept to her side, though not without emitting a stand-offish aura toward the larger man, especially at his pointed look. Teren had half a mind to walk out when it came to the horse judging comment though. Could people here be any more unbearable? Actually, Teren wished not to find out so soon.

“Absolutely n-” Teren’s refusal was entirely cut off by Rose’s peppy acceptance to do chores, and his disapproval was not spared in the glare he gave her. It was punishment enough to just be in the middle of nowhere, it was torture to know he would be continuously encouraged to be around things he had no care for. But chores? That was just ridiculous. Taking the bowl from Rose, he reminded himself of the dire consequences if he acted out in the way he was dying to right now. “You’re the one who volunteered, I don’t remember consenting to helping,” he said, placing the bowl on the counter with purposeful roughness. “Don’t I have rights here?” He added in a snarky fashion before crossing his arms and watching Rose.

“Besides, my culinary skills only go so far as to know how to cook things in a microwave. And I don’t know how to properly set a table, so I guess you’re on your own. But don’t worry, I’ll watch and learn.” Teren assured with a faux smile of humility, taking a step back and refusing to do much other than observe. He didn’t think Rose could actually force him to do more than what he agreed too anyway. It didn’t help that he also felt out of place around people who knew what to do in this kitchen as if the tasks being performed were the simplest in the world. These were tasks that Teren had no experience in, and he would rather be as difficult as possible than look lost. That feeling of misplacement was already becoming too familiar with him in such a short amount of time and he would rather not acquaint himself with the feeling much more for the rest of his day. If he could help it, anyway.

Terebinth X EdlingAugust 12, 2024 03:40 PM

~Terebinth Wolves~

Lightbringer

Give Award
The glare Teren gave Rose made her falter for a second as she quickly looked away. She hated being on the receiving side of someone's anger. The only reason she didn't flinch away when Teren all but slammed the bowl down onto the counter was because Reagan was there, watching with a glare of his own. The tension in the small kitchen seemed to skyrocket as Teren replied snarkily. "Your rights here are that you're lucky to not be in jail for the rest of your pathetic life." Reagan responded. Rose's eyes widen, fearful of what would happen if she didn't step in. "Reagan! Don't say that!"
It was a known fact for everyone at the ranch that Reagan didn't like most of the delinquents. But because he was friends with Rose's father and the ranch needed a cook, he took on the position. Sometimes Rose thought Reagan was no better than some of the delinquents, though, since he liked to comment things like he just did. "It's true, Rose, and you know it. Your father shouldn't have put you in this position to begin with." Reagan grumbled as he turned away. Great. Just great. Now everyone was on edge.
"But I am in this position. And being mean to him isn't going to make my job any easier." Rose huffs at Reagan, praying desperately Teren won't get defensive. Reagan mutters something but not loud enough for Rose to pick up. There's no doubt he said something along the lines of 'I wasn't being mean to him', though.
Now that Reagan had been dealt with, Rose turned back to her Mentee, who looked particularly unhappy. She swallowed uneasily, just a tiny bit terrified of the boy. Her earlier plan had been forgotten because of the nervousness frying her brain. What would her father do in this situation? What would the adults do? "If that's what you're worried about, then I can teach you. But the tasks aren't really that hard." Rose murmured, doing her best to sound confident and like she knew what she was doing. "Have you heard of the saying 'If you don't work, you don't eat'?" She countinued, studiously avoiding Teren's gaze. "I don't want to do this, but if you can't follow this simple order, then you won't be eating tonight."
Once Rose uttered those words, she quickly turned back to the contents of the fridge, swallowing hard. She still had to get the rest of the ingredients, after all. When she went to reach for the dressing, she realized just how bad her hands were shaking. Much to her relief, though, the fridge's door was obscuring most of her body, including her hands, from Teren's no doubt angry gaze. She was terrified of all the things Teren could possibly do to retaliate, but deep down, she knew she had to be strong, lest the delinquent would walk all over her. Still, it was annoying to feel so helpless. She could fall off a horse and not be shaken in the least. But all it took to make her fall apart was one angry boy? That didn't seem right.

Edited at August 12, 2024 05:07 PM by ~Terebinth Wolves~
Terebinth X EdlingAugust 13, 2024 10:26 PM

Edling

Neutral

Give Award

For a moment, Teren stared at Reagan with nothing short of both vexation and amusement. There were so many biting comments he already had idly sitting on his tongue to respond with, though he observed the exchange between Reagan and Rose first. Of course, she acted in his defense only for her own benefit, proving his philosophy of cynicism more true than it had already been. “It’s okay, I can’t find it in me to be offended by a middle-school-level insult.” He commented with a shrug, as if disappointed Reagan's comment wasn't cutting enough. It’s not like he envied a man who cooked for people with such pathetic lives, as Reagan had put so kindly, but Teren supposed not everyone could be tens in the world. Not that he would suggest he was a ten, but he was close enough on his own scale to be satisfied with where he stood. Rather than stirring the pot of the room anymore than he could, and had the impulse to, his attention refocused itself on Rose.

It’s not like he considered himself completely incompetent in simple things like making a salad or setting a table, but Teren experimented through trial and error. He did not feel comfortable enough to experiment on his own here without feeling a sense of judgment breathing down his neck though. In one of the worst ways, Teren was trying to force instruction out of Rose so he could watch, learn, and repeat later if he felt like it. Most people, he knew, would just ask nicely for guidance and help, but that wasn’t exactly up his alley of doing things. A part of him wondered just how uncommon it might be for someone to never have set a table or things of the sort before. From what he remembered, even when his parents were together, there was no such thing as eating a meal as a family at a table, let alone in the same room. So it’s not like he had familial memories to go off of.

As Rose began to give him the spiel of a saying he had never heard before, Teren raised his brows expectantly, seeing if there was more to it. There was that one saying he knew about teaching a man to fish if he recalled correctly, but he didn’t really see that being applicable to the moment. However, the threat of his dinner was a spark to a fire better left unprovoked. With a tight clench in his jaw and a drilling gaze focused on Rose, he tapped his foot in agitation and mentally convinced himself restraint was a concept worth practicing if it meant leaving this place as soon as possible. “I’m not food motivated to obey like an animal,” he replied curtly after waiting for Rose to get out of the fridge with the rest of what was needed for the salad. “If I knew the evolution of guidance here was threats, I would have just taken the prison sentence and spared myself wasted time,” he muttered under his breath, before stepping forward to the bowl and the contents that were inherently supposed to create a salad.

“Don’t confuse my actions with compliance,” Teren initially warned as he took over in a manner more calm than what was written on his face. “Just tell me what I need to do, so next time, I don’t need you.” He stated coolly, blue eyes briefly traveling over what was in front of him. It seemed simple enough, but he was also careful of getting too cocky with things he’s never done before. It was irritating in a way he hadn’t experienced in a long time to feel ignorant in doing such menial tasks. However, it was easier to channel those varying degrees of anger and internal discontent onto Rose.

Terebinth X EdlingAugust 15, 2024 09:15 PM

~Terebinth Wolves~

Lightbringer

Give Award
Teren's words were one thing, but his actions were another. If he wasn't interested in having dinner like he seemed to suggest, he wouldn't have went up to the ingredients, right? Nevertheless, Rose was still mentally shaking like a leaf. She had never had to be so assertive before, even with the other delinquents. Then again, she wasn't their mentor and Teren was obviously a step up from them in terms of criminal acts. Still, for better or for worse, her mind came up with a sassy response, like always, to Teren's words. But like always, she held it in, not daring to stoke a fire she wasn't ready to handle. Or the judgment that came with it.
As Teren asked Rose for help, and though his words stung a little, her gaze studied the ingredients before him. To be honest... she usually just winged it, catering to her desires that certain day. And Reagan never seemed to mind. But could she really just tell Teren that? He probably wouldn't be thrilled with that answer. Plus, was he really wrong? Should she really threaten him like she did? She did need to give him some kind of answer, though, obviously. "Just... um..." After a long couple of seconds trying to come up with a sufficient answer, Rose just said heck with it.
"This is a creative test, to see how creative you are! Do whatever you want, just don't make it purposely gross. All you have to do is throw stuff in, try it, and voila!" Rose followed up her words with a sheepish smile, probably revealing to Teren that her instructions were that of which she did everyday. Even though he probably said some harsh things in response to Rose's reply, she just ignored it, instead focusing on his work. Her gaze wasn't judging, but instead, it was filled with curiosity and even a hint of excitement to try someone else's creation besides Reagan's and her own. And though she watched him, Rose made sure to stay out of his way and keep a comfortable distance between them. Luckily for them, Reagan was now busy preparing other things on the other side of the kitchen.
After a while, once Rose had managed to push down her previous fear and frustration, she finally had a good response to what Teren had said. "Do you... seriously think that anything would change if I asked you nicely for every single thing? If I don't do something, you'll almost always say no and then you'll leave here the same way you came. Have you ever had a pet cat? They always knock stuff down or scratch you for some reason or another. You have to squirt them with water. You have to give them consequences if they do something wrong. Otherwise they'll keep doing the same thing. If they eat the wrong thing, they could get sick and even die, so by giving them, as you call it, threats, you're really protecting them." Rose murmured quietly, her gaze thoughtful.
"Now, I'm not comparing you to an animal, so don't even go there. It's the same with everyone. Parents have to discipline their child so they can teach them what's right and wrong and protect them. Atleast... that's what good parents do, anyway. At Last Chance Ranch, we try to be the good parents some people have never had. So, yeah, you may hate me, but I can guarantee you being here is better than being in jail. All the adults here genuinely care. That's why they decided to work here instead of following their dreams or whatever. But at the jail... I don't think that's the case."
Terebinth X EdlingAugust 17, 2024 12:11 AM

Edling

Neutral

Give Award

Teren had initially given Rose the benefit of the doubt as he waited during her lengthy pause for instruction, though as those few seconds evolved into a lengthy moment, he turned his head toward her with an impatiently raised brow. The surprise test she announced was something he did not foresee coming, especially if one were to judge by his confused countenance. The smile she tried to cement her words with fell flat with Teren who pushed a sigh of dismay through his nostrils. “I didn’t think salad creation dictated creativity levels,” he replied, shaking his head as he turned to look back down at the bowl in front of him. “I must have missed that portion of the IQ test I took in high school.” He added sarcastically, surveying what was in front of him thoughtfully. Now that he was really thinking about it, he couldn’t even recall the last time he had even eaten a salad.

Teren, confidently blind to his concoction of leaves and various other nutritious vegetation, combined that and questionable seasonings to it following the dressing. If he had jerky on hand, he would have added it. It would look more appetizing to him if it was less green, but he figured that was generally the tell-tale signature of most salads. Pausing his contemplation of how much dressing was too much with the interruption of Rose’s voice, he flicked his blue gaze in her direction. A subtle scowl followed closely behind her comparison to dealing with cats. Though just as he had opened his mouth to make a remark about her comparing him to an animal, she spoke again, prompting him to close his mouth in a frown as she addressed what he was going to say before he could actually say it.

Rose’s continuation of the symbolism the people here had as parents did not resonate well with Teren. No longer holding her gaze as his own drifted back toward the salad bowl, he scoffed. “I feel so cared for its overwhelming,” he commented with dry sarcasm, purposefully not wanting to get into any real conversation that surrounded parents - the mere idea was aggravating. Stepping to the side and gesturing with his hands toward the salad, he looked back toward Rose. “If I pass and prove my creative worth, will I have earned the right to eat tonight?” He mocked while simultaneously returning his arms to a crossed position over his chest.

“How much do people know about me here?” Teren asked after an interlude of silence on his part, contemplating the choice of words that have so far been used in his presence by people he’s just met. The other mentor he had more or less met with Rose earlier seemed surprised by him, and Teren had written it off, assuming they may have only had a vague grasp on his record. But what Reagan said particularly is what bothered him. How would he know if he deserved to be locked up or not? Unless Reagan just assumed anyone who came through the ranch was trash to pity that deserved to be in jail, but he reacted strongly in Teren’s opinion. “How much do you know about me?” He prompted, his expression falling into something detached and unreadable as he locked his gaze on Rose’s reaction to his questions.

Terebinth X EdlingAugust 17, 2024 11:27 PM

~Terebinth Wolves~

Lightbringer

Give Award
Despite Teren being purely sarcastic with his words, Rose found it amusing all the same. The thought of salad creation having anything to do with IQ was hilarious to her, though she hid her chuckle behind a smile and tilted her head down so there was no way her mentee could catch her slip up. She didn't want to encourage sarcasm, afterall. Most people didn't find it funny, she knew. Despite all that, Rose forced her expression back to neutral as Teren gestured to the salad. She stepped up to the concoction, grabbed a fork, and took a bite. Sure, it wasn't on a professional level or anything, and she was dying to change some things, but overall, the salad wasn't bad. A small smile pulled at her lips, showing her approval.
"Yep. I would say you've earned your dinner. Thank you." Rose said, turning to smile at Teren. She then instinctively started getting out plates and dishing up portions for each said plate. Halfway through, Teren finally spoke up again, prompting Rose to look at him. His question took her off guard, which in turn made her tense ever so slightly. His question was wayyy to close to the secret Rose was trying to keep from him - the fact that both of them were basically experiments in this scenario.
"Well, obviously my dad knows everything the state knows about you. Or, atleast, almost everything. Reagan is my dad's friend, so dad has probably talked to him, though I can't say whether Reagan knows everything or not. But, he... dislikes almost everyone here, so his actions earlier weren't necessarily... out of the ordinary. Anyways, the staff here most likely only know the basics like what type of crimes you committed or your age and typical stuff like that. The other kids don't know anything, though. Beside the obvious that you're a criminal, otherwise you wouldn't be here. And... what do you want me to know? Probably nothing, correct?" Rose replies, turning the question back onto him to hopefully hide the fact that she knows absolutely nothing about him.
Her leading theory right now is that her father on purposely didn't show her Teren's file to save her from undue stress. And... honestly... She's fine with that. All that really matters is that he needs to change, right? Who cares what he's done in the past? She's seen all types of criminals. She very much doubts he will do anything she hasn't experienced before. And if he does... well, that's her fault for not asking for his file. She plans to take responsibility for her mistake and cross that bridge if and when she gets there.
That's when Rose finally saw Teren's expression, which sent chills down her spine. Not even anger scared her more than someone with an unreadable look on their face. It terrified her, the fact that she didn't know what they were feeling, the fact that the specific person turned into the unknown at the blink of an eye. Her throat constricted so much so that she couldn't even say what she had just been about to ask. All she could do was quickly look down again and focus on serving the rest of the portions. She had no idea why she had this intense fear of people's emotions, but she unfortunately never could get over it.

Edited at August 17, 2024 11:34 PM by ~Terebinth Wolves~

Forums > Roleplay > 1x1
   1    2    3 

Refresh

Copyright ©2013-2024 Go Go Gatsby Designs, LLC    All Rights Reserved
Terms Of Use  |   Privacy Policy   |   DMCA   |   Contact Us