Wolf Play : honey x silhouetteissleepy
Chatbox
 Eno
08:48:21 Kaz
Not what I was looking for ;-;
-WP Click-
 Transcendence
08:48:11 free palestine
When I think Im ready to breed my hero studs to high rated nonhero wolves in the trading post: im about to end my own 18+gen career
 Serpents
08:48:11 Waterfall,Zane,Pixal
ninjago rp pm me

if anyone sees my wolves in exlpore let me know pm me whom as well
 Destinations End
08:47:28 Toliska, Desti, Coy
@Enigma
Hmm.. do you have lots of internet tabs open?(not just wolfplay tabs. Any internet tabs)
 Enigma
08:46:13 
WAIT that's so cute omg there's FMC border patrol interactions?

Seasmoke 🔥 has returned from patrolling the border of your territory! They came across a group of puppies wrestling as the parents looked on. Frisk jumped into the fray and wrestled down another pup! Your pack earned a Moon Flower!
 Nikwasi
08:45:16 Mac
Deso
See, of my whole family weren't deathly allergic to cats I could get one lol
 Boo
08:44:26 Chrissy
i have 15 wolves at 79 hours. why do i do this to myself?
 Enigma
08:44:25 
@Desti
Ah, yeah I am noticing a significant lag when loading tabs. I used to be able to load/click in and out of them with ease
 Desolation
08:44:04 Deso the 👻
Mac
Y'know who doesn't do that?

(cats) XD
 Nikwasi
08:43:32 Mac
Space*
 Nikwasi
08:42:42 Mac
Deso
He's not that big 😭
He's a tiny little pit bull who can share a small dog bed with his brother
But somehow he manages to perfectly position himself to leave no place in mine
 Desolation
08:41:31 Deso the 👻
Mac

maybe...your dog NEEDS all the bed space?
 technoblade
08:41:29 Lil Techy | Techno
Eno

Fair enough, I did it once and it was not fun
 Long Wang
08:41:14 Sweet/Brandy/Dragon
I spoil you two way too much already. Yet resisting the urge to buy more decor and gear.
-WP Click-
-WP Click-
 Enigma
08:41:04 
@Eno
I might have to do that. It never used to lag before, I wonder why.
 Eno
08:40:57 Kaz
Techno,
I wasn't exactly counting them ;-;
 Destinations End
08:40:52 Toliska, Desti, Coy
@Enigma
No. To my knowledge there's no way to disable other users pictures. Or your own for that matter(but for your own, people can remove their own pictures if scrolling bothers them that much)

As for your other question, I don't explore much anymore so I wouldn't know. But I don't believe so because I haven't seen any one else ask if there's been explore lags for 2-3 years
 technoblade
08:40:30 Lil Techy | Techno
Eno

how? XD
 Nikwasi
08:38:38 Mac
My dog is literally shoving me out of MY bed right now. I'm about to banish him to his own bed
 Eno
08:38:21 Kaz
Eni,
Yeah explore gets laggy especially with the with the events. I tend to disable them if it gets bad

Techno,
Thank you! For some reason I thought it was 300 xc

Refresh

You must be a registered member for more
than 1 day before you can use our chatbox.
Quests
Alliance Battles
Challenges

Hourly Damage Variances
Snapping Turtle : 0
Ocelot : -2
Cougar : +3
    Spring Month: 1   Day  Weather:  Sunny
 Battle  Explore In: Now

Forums

→ Wolf Play is a fun game! Sign Up Now!

My Subscriptions
My Bookmarks
My Topics
Latest Topics
Following
Forums > Roleplay > 1x1
   1    2 

honey x silhouetteissleepyJuly 23, 2024 09:37 AM

silhouetteissleepy

Neutral

Give Award

The doors shut fully, blocking Leon’s view of the body double. It took a few seconds for him to get his bearings, staring blankly at the elevator wall while his chest heaved. There was a body on the floor. The other person out to get Baines that the imposter had mentioned, perhaps? He paid it no more attention, he had seen corpses before and no longer felt anything significant towards them after the first dozen times. He had been told that it gets easier, and maybe it does when it’s all you have memory of.

No, that’s not true.

He did have some memory of a time before, of a mother who was not just a glorified workplace manager. Something within him hurt when he thought of it now, but it was not the place or time to linger on painful relics of the past. He had to check himself over for injuries.

He didn’t think he was bleeding. There was a lot of blood, he was hoping he had managed to slice the body double’s femoral artery. There would be very little chance of him continuing his pursuit any further if that was the case. His wrist was certainly broken, he didn’t have any doubts about that. The swelling had gotten pretty bad by now, he didn’t dare attempt to move it. He could attempt to make a makeshift splint out of the security uniform once he could find a room to block off, he was solidly okay at first aid at least. He could get the job done. He assumed he must’ve tore a muscle in his shoulder or something considering the dull ache he could feel coming from it, and for his spine…he wasn’t sure. He was hoping it was nothing serious, he could still stand after all, so that was a good sign. If he had injured or – God forbid – broken it, then he would’ve lost lower body and perhaps arm movement by now. He definitely had his fair share of bruises, too. He was going to be in a lot of pain for the next few weeks. He exhaled a heavy sigh, slipping the dripping Swiss Army knife into the pocket of his dress pants as he did so. He ran his functioning – albeit incredibly bloody – left hand through his now dishevelled hair.

Just as he thought that he had collected himself and was prepared to figure out some sort of escape route, the man on the floor turned. Leon stood there in complete silence as he spoke, dumbfounded beyond belief.

He was alive? Leon properly looked at him now with eyes wide from shock. He had dirty blonde hair, soaking up fresh looking blood from a wound on his head that looked like it was from some sort of blunt force damage. That was a type of injury he could recognize damn near instantly. Someone in his division once died from a brain hemorrhage after being caught trying to take down a ringleader of a local crime syndicate some idiot had paid Locust good money to go after. He could still recall it all like it was yesterday despite it happening a little over ten years ago, another thing better not to linger on. Either way, this stranger could just have a simple concussion, it was too early to tell.

Leon was briefly thoughtful, was it worth it to attempt to bring him along as he searches for a way out? If the man can’t walk, then Leon would have no choice but to carry him along with him, which would be exceptionally difficult with these kinds of injuries. Maybe he could drag him? But then he would only end up getting more injured in the process. Plus, this guy was totally from another organization, he could always be trying to lower his guard so he could take him out later.

If he was armed as Leon figured though, he might attack if he attempted to leave him behind. It might be nice to have someone watch his back while he attempted to see if there was anything he could use to get down from a window anyways. He could also have useful intel that Locust hadn’t picked up yet. He supposed…he could try to bring the man along.

It was then he realized he had been staring at the man for the past few seconds with a completely deadpan expression. He cleared his throat before responding.

“Uh…yeah. Yeah, I was. The name’s Leon, by the way.”

Leon wasn’t entirely sure why someone admitting to attempted homicide was also telling him his name, but he could chalk it up to delirium from a mix of his head injury and blood loss. There was no excuse for him doing the exact same thing though, that wasn’t the best call he had ever made. Oh well, what’s the worst that could happen?

“I managed to stab…whoever that was. Not anywhere immediately lethal or anything, but it might be just enough to at least throw him off for now,” He thought about showing this Kieran guy his bloody Swiss Army knife as proof, before dispelling the idea just as quickly. He didn’t want to risk being seen as a threat.

“You look like you’ve seen better days…then again, so have I. Can you stand?” He paused, realizing what an obvious question that was. If he couldn’t sit up, walking was probably out of the realm of possibility for him at the moment.

“Nevermind that. I could probably find a way to carry you…or drag you…or something. Support you while you walk at the very least. I can treat your wound once we’re out of this elevator,” His words came out a little clumsily, he was starting to really feel the pain from his shoulder and wrist.

Leon could cut the sleeve off of his security uniform and use that as a makeshift bandage. Hopefully there would be enough left over for his splint, though. He supposed the stranger probably needed the medical attention more, so it wouldn’t be that big of a deal if he couldn't make it. Not that he'd be particularly happy about it though.

The elevator had reached its destination, the doors opening with a ding. Leon took a step closer to the exit, pausing to wait for Kieran’s response.

Edited at July 23, 2024 12:57 PM by silhouetteissleepy
honey x silhouetteissleepyJuly 24, 2024 10:17 PM

Honey

Darkseeker

Give Award

The man - Leon - was evidently a little startled that the bloodied corpse on the floor had struck up a conversation with him. Seeing that he was absolutely soaked in blood that obviously did not belong to him, Kieran decided that the best course of action to avoid getting stuck with a knife was probably to try not to freak him out any more.

He wasn't surprised when Leon told him that he'd managed to injure the body double. The other man was only bleeding from a few minor cuts and bruises; his clothing was splattered in enough blood to indicate a cut to an artery. From the look of the swelling, his wrist was at least badly sprained, though, and the way he stood hunched against the wall of the elevator told Kieran that he probably had some other injuries as well.

"Maybe he'll just bleed out in the street or something," he said flatly to Leon. "That would be nice, wouldn't it?"

He was not entirely sure why he was pleasantly conversing with someone who was obviously from a rival syndicate and who would probably kill him as soon as he turned his back. Maybe he did have a brain injury. He was tempted to ask what organization the man was from, but that seemed like a very quick way to escalate the situation.

Leon's voice snapped him out of his thoughts again. The idea of this likely very dangerous stranger dragging him through the building was not particularly enjoyable, Kieran decided. "No, no, I can stand," he assured Leon with a confidence he absolutely did not feel. His head was already starting to spin again just from the effort of speaking, but he was not about to embarrass himself by falling on his ass.

Kieran reached up and gripped the cold metal railing of the elevator firmly. Inhaling quickly, he yanked himself to his feet in what he hoped looked like a fluid motion. His stomach turned and his head throbbed, but he managed to keep himself upright, though he had to lean heavily against the wall. He shot Leon a tight-lipped smile. "All good."

When he glanced down at the puddle of blood on the floor, Kieran automatically assumed that some of the body double's blood must have dripped from Leon's clothing onto the tile below. There were no scarlet droplets at the other man's feet, however, and Kieran realized suddenly that all that blood must have come from him. He knew that he should leave his wound alone until he could receive proper medical attention, but he brushed his fingers gingerly against his temple anyway. Most of the blood caked around it seemed to have clotted, but a small trickle still streamed from the center of the wound. He would need to get that patched up soon; he assumed that at least some of his disorientation and weakness was due to blood loss, not just the blow to his head.

The elevator jolted to a halt, and Kieran winced as the ding echoed around the cramped area. The screen above the doors displayed a large red '2'. Kieran felt a little uneasy at only being one floor above ground level, but his nerves were somewhat alleviated when the doors ground open to reveal an empty hallway.

"Okay," he said, mostly to himself, and stepped out of the open doors. Almost immediately, he lurched aggressively to the side of the hallway, just barely catching himself against an office door. His injury was obviously worse than he'd anticipated; he probably had a bad concussion at the very best. He straightened up as he heard Leon exit the elevator behind him. Being so frail and weak was going to get him killed unless he'd stumbled across the most benevolent assassin in the world.

Kieran cleared his throat and turned to Leon. "There should be a couple storage closets and cleaning rooms on each floor. We can stop in one of them and see if there's anything we can use to make you a sling." He nodded at Leon's wrist, taking care not to mention that he desperately needed to find something to patch up his head with.

Kieran continued down the hallway, slowly this time to avoid careening into the walls. He jiggled a few doorknobs before he found an unlocked one leading into a storage closet. The room looked like it hadn't been touched it years. Moldering cardboard boxes lined each of the walls, and a thick layer of dusty lay over every surface. Kieran sneezed as he flipped the light switch next to the doorway; the ancient lightbulb overhead flickered on for a moment, then went dark abruptly. He sighed softly and ventured farther into the dim room. "If we don't find anything in here, we can look for a cleaning closet," he called over his shoulder, hoping that Leon had trailed after him from the elevator.

Kieran started at a shelf just level with his chest. The idea of reaching up or bending down made his head pound, so he settled for whatever was easily within reach. Most of the cardboard boxes were full of blank sheafs of paper or replacement parts for printers and other devices. He could hear Leon rummaging around as well, and felt a bit better. Both of their chances were drastically improved by having the other with them. If Leon decided that he was more useful alive, he just might make it out of this hellhole.

Kieran finally stumbled across a large box filled to the brim with rolls of paper towels. He held one up triumphantly for Leon to see. "Are you bleeding anywhere? For your arm, we can rip off one of our sleeves and use these to pad it so it doesn't get all jostled around." He almost added 'when we get out of here' at the end, but he decided that he wasn't quite that optimistic yet.

Kieran sat heavily on one of the bigger boxes near the center of the room with a fresh roll of paper towels. He was a little nervous about fussing too much with his wound; if he had a concussion, it would probably just sting, but he could do a lot more damage if he had a skull fracture or something along those lines. Very slowly, he tugged his sleeves over his knuckles and swiped at the caked blood lining the edges of the wound.

It stung like he had poured alcohol into it. Kieran swore loudly and jerked his hand away. "Sorry," he called to Leon, still hesitant to startle the other man in case he had a knife stuck up his sleeve. He could feel a fresh stream of blood trickling down his temple where he had irritated the wound. He groaned and dabbed gently at the flow of blood. "If you need help with your sling..." He trailed off, feeling awkward about offering his help. "Just give a shout," he finished flatly, and went back to cleaning his wound.

honey x silhouetteissleepyJuly 27, 2024 01:20 PM

silhouetteissleepy

Neutral

Give Award

Leon nodded in response to Kieran’s wistful thinking.

“If only. Doubt that’ll happen with my luck today…” He gave Kieran’s head wound a mildly rueful glance before continuing. “...Or yours, for that matter.”

Leon wondered briefly if the body double would continue to hunt him down after this – if there was an after this – before deciding not to linger on such a frankly unpleasant idea. He’d cross that bridge when he gets to it.

Kieran assured Leon he was perfectly fine to walk on his own, which he did not buy in the slightest. He wasn’t about to insist though, he wasn’t even actually sure if he had it in him to drag another person around right now. He would likely just end up injuring himself more, not at all ideal. He didn’t have much faith in Kieran’s current ability to stay upright, but he supposed if he fell and died for real this time that would be one less thing for him to worry about.
He felt somewhat guilty after thinking that, but pushed it all aside for now. It wasn't like this other assassin would be thinking too fondly of him either.

Leon watched as Kieran stumbled into the dark and empty hallway, nearly tripping before catching himself just in time. Okay, he was really starting to question the wisdom of his decision to bring this guy along. This was the new plan though, and there was no chance he was going to derail things yet again. He wasn’t even in any state to follow proper procedure if he did kill him, it would all be far too sloppy and rushed. He could put up with this for now, surely. He didn’t say anything about his less-then-graceful exit, but grimaced when he turned to look back at him as they both walked down the hall.

Kieran spoke again, now about the possibility of finding materials for a sling in one of the storage rooms. Leon, in his haze of pain and fight or flight, completely failed to consider that as a possibility. Not that he would let Kieran know of that fact though.

“Of course. Push comes to shove I can always try to make a sling out of this uniform. Not perfect, but it’d work. Besides, this outer-shirt is too bloody for me to be wearing outside right now anyway,” His words were steady, which he was thankful for considering the abysmal amount of pain coming from his right arm at the moment.

Leon continued to follow Kieran, waiting idly for him as he checked all the doors. If there was someone in there he didn’t want to be the first person they saw, being drenched in blood and all. It was then that he remembered that guy he knocked out in the security office. Was he still there?

He decided to steer Kieran away from that specific door if he started getting close.

Luckily, it didn’t come to that. Kieran had managed to find a storage closet, all either of them could do now was hope to find something to treat their wounds. He sighed at Kieran’s next words, if they were desperate maybe they could try to use a sponge to soak up some of the blood. Leon would laugh if he wasn’t so tired by this point.

He searched through some of the boxes, while Kieran also did the same. Most of this stuff was useless to their current situation, he was hoping for curtains or sheets of some sort, though finding something like that here was likely nothing but pipe dreams. Theoretically if they couldn’t get out through the lobby then they could use the sheets to climb down from a second-story window. That would be dangerous though in their current conditions, but a gamble Leon was willing to take if it ended up coming down to it. Not like he had any luck at all finding sheets in the first place, though.

Leon turned to look at Kieran as he victoriously held up a sheet of paper towel.

“Ahah! You did it!” Leon was very briefly happy before he realized just how sad it was to celebrate over medical supplies that wasn’t even actual medical supplies.

Leon continued on to answer Kieran's question. “I don’t think so…not badly, at least. Maybe some minor cuts not even worth giving time to.”

Now that he really thought about it, the sturdy part of the splint was probably out of the question. Cutting off a piece of cardboard with his swiss army knife would only dull it, not at all ideal if he needed it later.. He could still try to stabilise his wrist to some extent though. He took off the security uniform he was wearing over his button-down. The blood had leaked through onto it as well, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as he had expected. He racked his brain for the information he was taught on first aid during his education in Locust. He always saw a bit of irony in it; in order to teach them all to kill, they also needed to teach how to assist the injured. It was practical though, getting injured on missions was hardly an uncommon occurrence. If the assassin or the person they were working with needed medical attention, then it would be detrimental not to widely teach it to all of them.

His thoughts were broken by Kieran’s exclamation, making him flinch briefly in surprise. He cleared his throat again at his apology, attempting to play it off like he was not at all caught off guard.

“Ah, it’s fine, I get it. Shit hurts,” He did a small nod, trying not to imagine how much he was about to be in pain too in just a minute.

He was somewhat taken aback by the other man’s offer, but there was no way in hell he could accept. He’d rather keep the man at a distance for now. No favours owed, no opportunities for him to lower his guard.

“I’ll manage,” Leon replied with an equally flat tone, averting his eyes awkwardly. “Thanks though, I guess.”

He could vaguely recall one method he was taught. He put the shirt around his neck, and fumbled until he managed to position his injured arm underneath. It was complaining for sure, especially his shoulder, but he clenched his jaw and did his best to bear it for now. He shakily slipped his hand into the shirt’s left sleeve, with his elbow resting in the right. Leon padded it out with some additional paper towel as well, hopefully that would be good enough for now. He exhaled heavily, sitting down against one of the shelves. He really was exhausted, he’d be glad to go home to his decrepit little apartment and…

Oh. I have work tomorrow.

He stared blankly at the opposite wall for a moment before laughing grimly. He quickly stopped himself once he realized what he was doing, very conscious of how that didn’t help at all with his attempts to remain non-threatening.

“Sorry, sorry,” He mumbled, looking back over to Kieran. Now it was his turn to apologize. “I just…remembered something unfortunate is all.”

It wasn’t that big of a deal, he could always call in sick or something. Not like his boss would be happy about it though, and he really did need the money, especially after this whole ordeal went so terribly. He sighed heavily, he’d find a way to make do for now.

“Anyways, we need to find some sort of escape route. I wouldn’t expect us to have much luck with the lobby,” As the words left his mouth, he realized something.

Was the body double just as trapped in here as they were? Someone surely must have outlined an escape route for him. Revolving doors usually don’t have traditional locks or keys by design, so then how would he have gotten out without breaking anything or making a scene? There had to be another door somewhere on the bottom floor, one that he did have the key for.

It seemed so obvious to him now. Of course there would be more than one exit, most buildings have an alternative route in case of emergency. It would only be a matter of tracking it down and finding a way to crack the lock. There was one major problem though; he wasn’t completely sure that the body double had given up on hunting him and Kieran down yet. Also there was the matter of his pistol, what if that man had decided to take it? He had been trying his best not to entertain the possibility and put it out of his mind, but he couldn’t deny it completely. If he was smart he would’ve just left, better to try again another day then to risk dying now. He supposed he’d just have to see what Kieran thought, maybe he had his own ideas.

“...Actually, I think there’s a possibility of a second door we could picklock open on the first floor,” He spoke carefully, fully aware of how insane it all sounded. “The body double would have to escape somehow, after all. But we could also see if we could climb down from a window up here. I don’t think our chances are good though. I haven't found any good materials so far, and we’re both in rough shape.”

Leon gave Kieran an even stare. He felt calmer now, more resolved than before. The odds were frankly awful, but not yet impossible.
honey x silhouetteissleepyJuly 27, 2024 06:30 PM

Honey

Darkseeker

Give Award

Kieran nearly fell off of his makeshift cardboard chair as the other man's laugh echoed around the small space. He supposed it was natural to be jumpy after a near-death experience, but his heart still hammered uncomfortably against his ribs as Leon apologized.

He shook off his nerves firmly, reminding himself that although they were stuck in the same situation together, he had no reason to trust this man. They were likely from opposing organizations and had been after the same target; he could just be biding his time, waiting for Kieran to let his guard down so he could take him out with minimal effort. He returned his attention to the paper towels in his hands, but he kept Leon's figure visible in his peripheral vision. Just in case, he told himself.

The bleeding from his head wound had finally started to slow. He had at first tried to delicately blot away the quickly-drying blood caked over the injury, but he quickly realized that the blood around the wound was clotting rapidly and diminishing the stream. Once he was sure that he wasn't going to bleed out from that particular injury, Kieran turned his focus to the rest of his body. He ached from head to toe, but he could only find a handful of blossoming bruises and shallow scrapes. If he had any internal injuries... well, he wouldn't be able to do anything about them right now.

When he glanced up at Leon again, the other man had finished wrapping his wrist with the security uniform he'd been wearing earlier. That reminded Kieran that he was still aboslutely soaked with his own blood. He stood unsteadily and made his way over to the shelves lined with cardboard boxes. "Did you happen to see any extra clothing while you were digging around?" he called over his shoulder to Leon, grimacing at the thought of pawing through endless containers of ink cartridges and printer paper for the second time. He supposed he could scour the offices on this floor for a jacket left behind overnight by its owner. The thought of trekking up and down the hallways again sent a fresh wave of exhaustion surging through his body; he had the sudden urge to rest his forehead against the box before him and fall asleep where he stood. He had no idea how they were supposed to get out of the building; it had surely been surrounded by Baines's associates the moment the word got out that his body double had been attacked by not one, but two assassins. Even if they managed to slip past the miniature army likely waiting for them outside, two figures stumbling through the city covered in blood would certainly attract unwanted attention. He wasn't sure about the organization that Leon belonged to, but Nathaira, as a rule, did not send reinforcements to rescue their compromised agents. They cut their losses even with their best assassins, so Kieran could be sure that no one was coming for him.

He lifted his head reluctantly at the sound of Leon's voice. He couldn't understand what the other hitman was talking about at first. They couldn't go out through the front doors; they were either locked or guarded by Baines's personal arsenal. But slowly, his words began to take shape in Kieran's mind.

Another door on the first floor, one that likely led to the back of the building. Something clicked in his head: when he had mentioned coming in from the back of the building to the receptionist, he hadn't been corrected. "You're right," he said, disbelievingly, to Leon. "That's how the workers on 12 get in." He wasn't sure if any of what he was saying made sense to Leon, but he didn't care. Their odds had just gotten a hell of a lot better now that they had more than one way out. Even if they were locked in, Kieran could pick locks, and he was confident that Leon could, too.

He straightened up quickly, the pain lancing through his head an afterthought, and shook his head at Leon's next words. "I don't think either of us could get down through a window right now. And someone would spot us right away as we went down the wall."

Kieran crossed to the door and peered out of the tiny square window into the hall. "We should look for their security room. I don't think there's anybody else still down there, but better to be safe than sorry."

He slipped through the doorway soundlessly, leaving the door open for Leon. The hallway was still eerily silent, the only sound the dull buzzing of the emergency lights over head. Kieran's head still spun with every step he took, but focusing on the possibility of getting out of here alive helped ground him.

As he crept down the hall, he tried a few doorknobs, only to find most of the offices on this end of the hall locked. Interesting. The majority of doors closer to the elevator had been unlocked. Kieran finally stumbled across a door that yielded, leading into a shadowy but spacious office. He scoured it quickly, checking the back of the door and the tiny closet space in the corner for something to throw on over his bloodied clothes. He eventually found a black hoodie in the lowest and largest desk drawer and tugged it on over his head. It was slightly too big for him and smelled faintly of mildew, but it would have to do.

Kieran emerged back into the hallway where Leon waited. As he'd already expected, most of the rooms on this floor contained regular offices or meeting rooms. It took him several minutes to find a metal plaque affixed to the wall, 'SECURITY' engraved on it in all caps. The door next to it seemed thicker and more imposing than the others, but Kieran suspected that was his imagination. He could make out the glow of screens through the door's small window. He couldn't make out the shape of anyone inside, but they could be just out of his field of vision.

Kieran opened the door as silently as he could and stopped in his tracks. The security camera screens, while still on, displayed only static, the words "CAMERA DISABLED" filling the scren in fuzzy white letters. A man wearing the same security vest he'd seen on Leon was slumped unconscious under the desk, his limbs splayed awkwardly and a thin line of blood running across his forehead.

Kieran wondered briefly if Baines's body double had made a detour to do this, but that would only raise suspicions. Besides, if he was posing as Baines, why would he need to turn off the security cameras? He was supposed to be there, after all.

Kieran turned to Leon and cleared his throat awkwardly. "Um. Did you do this?" He paused for a moment. "And can you undo it? I want to make sure we aren't going to run into someone down there." He didn't judge; he had come here to kill a man, just like Leon had.

honey x silhouetteissleepyJuly 29, 2024 06:31 PM

silhouetteissleepy

Neutral

Give Award

Leon’s even stare quickly turned to a bemused one as he noticed Kieran’s lethargic behaviour. Was he really about to die now of all times? Why? He had just figured out the groundworks to a proper plan, and now he was just going to leave him to figure it out alone? He was annoyed to say the least, he figured he should’ve just left him in that elevator instead of wasting time on a man who was just going to keel over anyway. He was relieved when he started to speak again, agreeing with Leon’s previous idea. Kieran also seemed to think that the lobby was their best shot, which was good because Leon didn’t really want to climb in this state. When he brought up the security room though, he felt apprehensive.

“Yeah…the security room. That’s probably for the best,” He nodded with a wince.

Leon trailed after Kieran as he headed out, closing the door behind him. His gait was intentionally slower. Occasionally he would turn his head to make sure no one was trying to creep up behind them as they moved through the dim corridors. He attempted to open a few doors himself along the way, but had no luck either. Then why were the first few unlocked? If it was a trap, then surely they would’ve fallen into it by now. They could’ve just forgotten, or maybe it was for the body double so he’d have some supplies when it came to cleaning up after he had killed Leon and Kieran. Either way he supposed it wasn’t the most pressing thing he had to worry about right now.

Kieran managed to find an unlocked door, so Leon waited outside in the hall as he went in to search for clean clothes. He didn’t have any luck in the previous room, Leon had told him as much when he had asked. In the silence, he thought more about his missing pistol.

His superiors would be angry if he lost it completely, yes, but generally weapons are more replaceable then people. It takes years to train an assassin up to Locust’s standards, and they have the connections and money to get ahold of a replacement pistol easily. He’d be punished, but not terribly. He still wanted to get it back though, ideally. Leon realized with a pang to his stomach that he hadn’t even counted or checked the bullets yet.

It was taught during his education to count bullets almost ritualistically. Losing track of how many you had left could have devastating consequences depending on the situation you were in, and so him and his colleagues were taught to always be counting up to the amount of remaining bullets in their heads when in a scuffle. It was also taught not to shoot impulsively, that was a good way to either lose count or get hurt. Leon usually checked his bullets as a habit whenever given a firearm, but Lucy grabbing his arm and getting all cryptic had distracted him.

Damn.

It’s not like it was that big of a deal anyway, he never got to use his pistol. There were never any slip ups with the amount anyway, it wasn’t worth getting worked up over. Something in his brain felt like it was tying itself into knots.

Kieran reappeared, now donning a black hoodie. Leon couldn’t help but wrinkle his nose at the slightly mouldy smell coming from it, but abstained from commenting. After a few minutes of searching, he finally happened upon the security office. Leon held his breath as they both headed inside, exhaling as he realized the cameras were still disabled. That man was still under the desk too, Leon was somewhat concerned at this point that he had accidentally killed him.

“…I…may have pistol whipped him. And disabled the cameras,” Leon responded to Kieran’s question with an equally awkward tone of voice, averting his eyes. “I’m frankly kind of surprised no one’s found him yet. I was banking on getting out of here before they did.”

He let out another exhale.

“And also yes, I can fix it…presumably,” He didn’t actually have any experience with turning cameras back on, but surely it couldn’t be much different then turning them off.

Leon sat on the chair in front of the monitors, he hadn’t bothered last time. It was uncomfortable, but he had come down from the adrenaline rush low enough not to care. The PIN to the computer was still on the desk, and he entered it back in as quickly as he could with only one hand. Turning the cameras back on was just as simple as he had hoped, it didn’t take long until everything was back online. Now to check all the cameras. He left Kieran some room to watch as he flicked through. The lobby was empty, though a trail of blood leading a little bit up to, then around the elevator to what Leon assumed to be another area of the first floor was visible. The blood was dark, like it was somewhat dry by this point.

“He’s not in the lobby…” Leon mumbled, “...but that doesn’t mean he’s left the building completely yet.”

He flicked to another camera, a corridor on the first floor. There was more blood on the ground there, too.

“This might be where our exit is.”

There was some sort of plaque on the wall, Leon couldn’t quite make it out through the camera. There were two doors, a metal one that definitely looked like it had potential, and then another one he wasn’t sure about. There wasn’t any sign of the body double in that hallway either, but Leon checked the other cameras to make sure he hadn't stopped his bleeding and headed somewhere else.

“Unless he’s hiding, I don’t see him,” Leon was contemplative for a moment. “Though, I think there’s some rooms that don’t have cameras. Floor twelve feels like it’s missing a few.”

There had been more doors than cameras on the twelfth floor, Leon was certain of that much. No matter how much he checked, the numbers didn’t add up. It was strange, very strange.

“We should get moving now,” Leon stood up from the chair, before glancing back at the man underneath the desk. If he was dead, he surely would’ve smelled it by now. He might be dying, but there was absolutely nothing he could do about it at this point.

Edited at July 29, 2024 06:35 PM by silhouetteissleepy
honey x silhouetteissleepyJuly 30, 2024 05:14 PM

Honey

Darkseeker

Give Award
Kieran stepped back as Leon approached the security monitors. He seemed to be confident in his ability to get the cameras back online, which settled Kieran's nerves a bit; he didn't particularly like the idea of going down there blind, especially with the possibility of the body double still lurking around on the first floor.

The security guard under the desk remained still, even though Kieran and Leon hadn't made any attempts to lower their voices or disguise their presence. Kieran thought he was still breathing, but he wasn't in any state to crawl under there and check. Hopefully someone would find him when they arrived for their shift the next morning.

The security monitors came to life with a soft buzzing sound. The words had disappeared from the screens, and Kieran could now make out the black-and-white feeds from the various cameras scattered throughout the building. He stepped closer to Leon's chair to get a better view. There was no movement on any of the feeds that Leon clicked through; Kieran would have suspected that they were frozen, or even decoys, until they came across a camera in the lobby that pointed directly at a large, half-dried puddle of blood marring the otherwise pristine tiled floor. After clicking through several more feeds, it appeared again, this time as a much thinner trail leading past the elevator. They tracked it through a few more feeds until it reached a dead end in a corner with two doors.

The exit, Kieran guessed. The body double had found his way out, then. If they were lucky, he'd have moved on to get his wounds patched up. Kieran wondered if there were any exterior security cameras, and scanned the labels on the monitors quickly. Nothing; they had no way of knowing if he was still lurking around outside of the building. With the amount of blood Leon had on his clothing, though, the body double wouldn't have lasted very long if he intended to wait them out.

Leon mentioned the lack of cameras on twelve, and Kieran clicked his tongue absentmindedly. "That's the one that Baines rents. Probably paid extra for more privacy. I don't think he'd want the security guards watching him all the time." He shrugged. "I don't know if he keeps anything up there, but he definitely doesn't want anyone to see all the shady characters he meets up with."

Kieran stepped towards the door as Leon rose from his seat. "I think we should take the stairwell. If there's anyone still here, they'll know we're coming if they see or hear the elevator."

They stepped back out into the hall, Kieran casting one more glance at the unconscious man beneath the desk. Oh well. It wasn't like they could afford to drag along yet another seriously injured person if they actually wanted a shot at getting out of this place.

The door to the stairwell was at the far end of the hall. Kieran shoved it open with his shoulder, taking care to not leave any errant smears of blood on the white surface. The door swung open with a deafening creak, and Kieran winced as his first few steps past the doorway echoed loudly through the stairwell. He moved forward hesitantly on the balls of his feet, but even the light tapping of the soles of his boots seemed abnormally loud.

The stairwell was dismally lit and had a lingering musty odor. Patches of concrete were visible every few feet, its paint having been worn down by the countless pairs of feet that trod upon it. Kieran hurried down the first flight of stairs as nimbly as he could. His head spun and a few stray flashes of light popped in his vision, but he managed to stay balanced and upright once he reached the landing below.

He peered over the railing at the next flight of stairs, which led directly to a door identical to the one they'd just entered through. The first floor entrance, Kieran assumed. Once they left the safety of the stairwell behind, they'd be much more exposed out in the lobby. They hadn't been able to spot any movement on the security cameras, but that didn't mean that the body double wasn't hiding out behind a door, just waiting for them to pass by obliviously.

He turned back to where Leon was descending the stairs behind him. "Okay." He felt incredibly incompetent; if anyone was lurking out in the lobby, they would clearly be able to hear their conversation thanks to the ridiculous echo in the stairwell. "Should we just make straight for the exit?" He stepped closer to the door and rested his palm against the handle. The lobby behind it was silent, as far as he could tell, which was a good sign.

Kieran held his breath and turned the doorknob slowly. This door clicked open quietly and swung outwards without creaking or groaning. Maybe this door was used more frequently than its twin upstairs?

The lobby was still and hushed. Kieran could make out the low hum of a fan from somewhere near the receptionist's desk, but there was no sound otherwise. There were a few splatters of blood across the floor, likely from where Leon had rushed to the elevator after his encounter with the body double. Kieran glanced over his shoulder at the other man and shrugged hopefully. Wherever he'd ultimately fled to, the body double had evidently left the lobby.

Kieran took another tentative step forward, his body still halfway in the doorframe in case he needed to make a quick escape. All the employees were gone, perhaps scared off by the series of bloody figures passing through the lobby. Kieran remembered the poor receptionist he'd encountered and almost laughed; that felt like a lifetime ago, though it couldn't have been more than two hours. There was no indication of a commotion in the lobby, though, so it was likely that the employees had simply left once their shifts were over. Baines would have insisted that none of the citizens in the building were to be hurt; that would only draw unwanted attention to himself and whatever he was doing up on the twelfth floor.

He shot another look at Leon and raised his eyebrows. "Ready to go?"
honey x silhouetteissleepyJuly 31, 2024 02:47 PM

silhouetteissleepy

Neutral

Give Award

Leon nodded to Kieran solemnly. “I agree. It’s far too noisy. We can’t risk someone still being in the building to hear.”

The two of them hurried down the hall as quietly as they could, reaching the door to the stairwell. Kieran pushed open the door, and Leon followed after him as he headed inside. He thought it was eerie just how quiet it was aside from both of their footsteps and the complaints of the door. He reassured himself while he walked that they were at the final stretch now, they might be able to at least make it outside. Though, there could always be someone stationed outside the second exit waiting for them both to unceremoniously stumble out. He stifled a sigh, it wasn't like they had any better alternatives. Kieran turned back towards him as he reached the bottom of the stairs, asking if they should head straight to the exit. His voice reverberated throughout the room, making Leon’s skin crawl.

“I need to check something first, then we can make our way there,” He kept his voice quiet, not like it was much use anyways.

The other man peered out the door to the lobby, and Leon looked over his shoulder the best he could. It was as he remembered it, his coat was still on the floor, so that was a good sign that the body double hadn't done away with his belongings.

“Everyone was gone when I was down here earlier. Either their shifts ended or someone cleared them out before that man went after me,” Leon was more inclined to believe the former, it was fairly late now after all.

Kieran had taken his first few steps forward, whilst Leon continued to hang back until he knew the coast was clear. After a few moments, the other man looked at him once again.

“Ready,” He replied curtly to his question.

He stepped into the lobby, his shoulders feeling oddly tense. He was fighting back the urge to recoil back into the safe confines of the stairwell. He hadn’t realized it earlier, but being back in this big, nearly empty room was filling him with copious amounts of dread. He felt shame well up just as powerfully in his chest from that realization alone. It was one thing to be nervous during a fight, but something else entirely to be afraid to enter a room of all things. He didn’t understand why he felt this way, only that he couldn’t allow it to impede their progress, much less let the other assassin see at all.

He made his way with a full stride over to his coat, picking it up with his good hand. He had no idea how he was supposed to wear it with only one arm, so he clumsily draped it over his shoulders the best he could for now. More importantly though, he had to check for his pistol. He felt even more ashamed having Kieran see that he had lost it so foolishly, but he couldn’t think of any alternatives that ended with the gun back in his hands.

He quickly crossed the marble floor and kneeled down beside the receptionist desk, the place Leon could recall the body double kicking it. It was too dark to see clearly, so he settled on sticking his arm under and hoping he’d find it that way. He was sure he must've looked like the world's biggest clown, but it really just couldn't be helped. After a few seconds, his heart jolted as he brushed his hand against…something. He grabbed ahold of the object the best he could, and managed to retrieve it with some effort. He breathed a sigh of relief, it was indeed his pistol. He checked his bullets now, just in case. Six, as per usual. Leon might've taken the time to check them all individually were the circumstances not so dire, but it just really wasn't the time.

Leon glanced back at Kieran. He knew that the fact he had his pistol now would only make him appear more threatening. Most assassins were skittish when it came to working with strangers, in his experience at least. Skittish and very fickle. He wouldn’t be surprised if Kieran tried to take him out the moment his back was turned, not like he'd blame him either.

Leon figured he had two options now: attempt to convince Kieran that he had no desire to harm him, or kill him before the other man decided it would be too risky to keep him alive. He mulled it over. They had been doing an effective job working together so far, he really felt no need to compromise that in favour of figuring out the rest of this mess all on his own. There was not a chance he was spending his precious bullets on an injured man anyway, and getting into a fight would likely just lead to Leon getting even more hurt. He inhaled wearily, taking a moment to think about what he would even say. Diplomacy had never been his strong suit, something he was very unfortunately aware of.

“I managed to find my pistol, that’ll make it a whole lot easier if we end up having to defend ourselves,” He glanced away awkwardly as he continued, not sure how to phrase any of it properly. “Also, uhm…If you don’t plan on attempting to kill me, then I don’t intend on trying to kill you either. Words don’t mean much, I know, but you really aren’t worth my bullets,” He didn’t say it with any intended malice, but his tone was very matter of fact. Leon just hoped that would be enough for now.

“We can keep going now, too. That was all I needed to grab.”

He briefly looked back at his shattered sunglasses on the ground, there was definitely no salvaging them. They had been aggravatingly expensive, he wasn’t looking forward to buying new ones. He forced his eyes away, turning towards where the trail of blood was leading.

He followed said trail to another door, which he assumed was to that corridor from the cameras. He pushed it open slightly with his forearm to get a look in. It was just as dim and dreary as the rest of the building had been so far, but much more cramped and compact for whatever reason. It was silent inside, and Leon couldn't see anything moving in there so far. With bated breath, he cracked it open just a little bit wider. Still nothing. He carefully closed it once more.

"Do you have anything on you that we could use to pick locks?" Leon asked Kieran quietly before continuing.

Edited at July 31, 2024 02:48 PM by silhouetteissleepy
honey x silhouetteissleepyAugust 1, 2024 10:34 PM

Honey

Darkseeker

Give Award
The giant, cavernous lobby was silent save for their echoing footsteps. Kieran made his way to the center of the room, scouring its various shadowy corners and doorways as he went. He spotted the large, half-dried puddle of blood they'd discovered on the security monitors and noted the trail of scattered droplets leading away from it. That would lead them straight to the exit - if they were lucky, and the body double wasn't lurking in one of the endless dark corners of the building, waiting for them to fall for the trap and pass by him.

Kieran heard the rustle of fabric and turned to see Leon scooping a jacket off the floor. It was minimally stained with blood compared to his other clothing, he noticed as the other man slung it awkwardly over his shoulders, which would make him look much less suspicious if they ever got out of this building and out onto the street.

Kieran knelt beside the pool of blood and scrutinized the droplets surrounding it. They were fairly dry and flaky around their edges, but were visibly still wet closer to the middle. If he had to guess, he'd say that the body double had passed through at least twenty minutes prior. That was good; with how much blood was on the ground, it would be a miracle if the man hadn't bled out yet if he was still inside somewhere, waiting for them.

Another rustling sound drew Kieran's attention away from the droplets, and he glanced over his shoulder. Leon was on his hands and knees by the receptionist's desk, his hand thrust beneath it. Kieran blinked, wondering if he should offer to help, when Leon straightened up, his sleeve covered in dust and a pistol in his hand.

Kieran's heart slammed painfully against his ribs for a few beats before he sighed quietly. Leon was looking over the bullets in the gun's chamber; Kieran could try to bolt, but he would only get a few feet in his condition. He could fight back, but he was too badly hurt to be any good with his blades. Leon might be injured as well, but it didn't take nearly as much strength or energy to pull a trigger as it did to stab through skin and muscle. Kieran swallowed thickly and turned back towards the blood splattered across the floor, keeping one eye on Leon as he picked at a drier patch with his fingernail. With his other hand, he felt blindly for the knife strapped to his thigh; if Leon decided to stall for whatever reason, maybe he could at least get a nasty cut in. He heard Leon jam the magazine back into the gun, and he tightened his white-knuckled grip around the hilt of his blade. Going for the other man's leg would be best. He wouldn't have to try to get up that way, which Leon would likely expect him to do.

Leon's even voice snapped him out of his reverie. Kieran blinked at him slowly, his words tumbling around in his skull, until they finally clicked. "Oh. Um." He hadn't even considered that they could use the pistol to defend themselves; he'd been too concerned about Leon using it on him. "Yeah. I mean, I wasn't really planning on killing you either. I don't think I could, honestly. So this is good." He was aware that he sounded incredibly stupid, but he was just relieved to hear that Leon wasn't planning to shoot him as soon as his back was turned. He cleared his throat and did his best to adopt a slightly more serious tone. "I'm glad we have a gun, at least. I only have my knives, so we would have been screwed in a fight." He didn't feel as uncomfortable discussing his weapons now that they had decided not to actively plan on killing one another.

Kieran hauled himself to his feet and brushed a few miniscule flakes of blood from his pants. Leon was obviously finished with this room, so he gestured to the trail of blood leading towards one of the side doors. "This should take us to the exit, if that's what it is."

They crossed the lobby to the door together, and Leon shoved it partially open. It was much darker inside than the rest of the building; Kieran had been hoping for at least some weak light indicating that they were close to the exit, but it was eerily dismal. A noticeably damp, dreary odor drifted towards them through the open door, though. Kieran hoped it was originating from outside the building, since it had rained just before he'd arrived for the assignment.

He chewed at his lip and mulled over Leon's question on the topic of lockpicking. "Hold on." He hurried back across the lobby to the receptionist's desk. The main drawer had a lock on it, but it slid open easily when Kieran tugged at it. He rummaged through the contents until he came up with a pen and a paperclip, then returned to Leon. He opened the door as quietly as possible and slipped into the pitch-black hallway. It was short, thankfully, and he could make out the two doors at the far end. He felt his way along the wall until his fingers brushed against the metal-plated one, which he thought was more likely to be the exit.

There was no sound or movement in the cramped hallway, though it was so dark and claustrophobic that Kieran wasn't sure he'd have noticed if there was. He knelt silently before the door and pulled his findings from the desk out of his pocket. The paperclip he twisted into an L-shaped hook, and he pulled the cap from the pen and discarded its body on the ground next to him. He exhaled soundlessly and inserted the end of the paperclip into the lock, using the pen cap to apply just enough pressure without snapping the clip as he turned it. It took him several minutes longer than usual; his hands were still shaky thanks to the blow to his head, and his nerves that something was lingering in the hall with them didn't help. Finally, his ear pressed almost flush against the door, he heard an almost-imperceptible click and felt the lock give.

Kieran let out the breath he'd been holding and sat back on his heels, tucking his makeshift tools back into his pockets. He glanced up at Leon. "Do you want me to unlock the other one, or just see where this one goes?" he asked, his voice barely more than a whisper. He knew logically that if someone was in there with them, they would have bumped into them already, but that didn't help settle his nerves.
honey x silhouetteissleepyAugust 4, 2024 01:54 PM

silhouetteissleepy

Neutral

Give Award

Leon waited as Kieran searched the drawers for something capable of being turned into a makeshift lockpick. He was relieved that he hadn’t brought anything with him either, that would just make Leon look underprepared and incompetent. He hadn’t been given any fancy tools to take out this mark, really it was uncommon for that to ever be the case unless under special circumstances.

The other man came back with a paperclip, and Leon stepped aside to let him pass by, trailing behind him as he went through the hall. He hated how cramped it was, this whole building felt like it was perfectly orchestrated to make him uncomfortable. He couldn’t wait to get outside, even if it was likely they wouldn’t be out of the woods just yet. He was also quite relieved that Kieran had stuck by his word and hadn’t tried to kill him yet, they seemed to have an uneasy yet solid truce for now.

As they reached the corridor's end, Leon could practically smell the dampness in the air. This had to be it. Leon stood by while Kieran worked on picking the lock. He stayed on high alert, ready to shoot should the body double come limping out. But everything was still. Still and quiet aside from the sounds of Kieran struggling with the lock. Leon was starting to wonder if he would even be able to manage it in his current condition, but the sound of Kieran’s exhale and a ruffle of motion put those thoughts to rest.

“Let’s see where this leads first,” He mumbled in response to Kieran's query. “We don’t want to leave more disrupted than necessary,” He knew that technically that at this point it wouldn’t matter anyways, but still. He wasn’t about to go off protocall, not even now.

He carefully opened the door with his pistol still in his hand. It wasn’t as loud as he was expecting it to be, but the quiet creak was enough to put him on edge. A wave of cool, fresh air made him silently sigh with relief. The door had led out to a deserted parking space. The moon was full enough to provide a bit of light, but darkness still enveloped and obscured the surrounding area. Leon couldn’t clearly see or hear anything that struck him as a possible threat at the moment. Carefully, he shut the door.

“I can’t see anything out there, but I’m sure if someone has been stationed outside then they’d want to sneak up on us. They wouldn’t want to alert the whole district to this scandal by firing a gun,” He sighed lightly. “Or they could try to threaten us and hope that we wouldn’t be uncooperative. We can try to be as quiet as we can, but chances are they’ve already seen us open the door.”

Leon peeked out again, trying to see what was straight in front of them. Another building, much less imposing than the one they were coming from. He could just barely make out an alley sandwiched between it and the neighbouring structure. Closing the door quietly once more, he turned back to Kieran.

“The front of the office is probably out of the question, so we could walk along the alley up ahead. After that we might be in the clear,” He didn’t love the idea of being so exposed, but there really weren't any better options right now that he could see.

Leon apprehensively opened the door and stepped outside. He could hear the faint city ambiance permeating throughout the area, it wasn’t unwelcome compared to the limital atmosphere of the office’s interior. He didn’t speak, but kept glancing around for signs of movement, keeping low the best he could. He winced at every russel of fabric, every step that was a little too noisy. There were several times he could’ve sworn he heard something, but he was pretty sure his stress from this whole ordeal was just getting to him. His vision was blurring somewhat, it was sinking in once again just how exhausted he was. His legs felt sluggish, but he urged himself to continue on just a little while longer. It was almost over, he just had to tell himself that.

After a tense few minutes, they arrived at the end of the parking lot. Things were going better then Leon had expected, he thought they’d have been dead meat by now. It was almost going too well, something felt wrong. They should have met at least some interference by now. He peered around the side of the building into the alley. His eyes were now significantly more adjusted to the darkness, a fact that brought him a slight bit of relief. As he scanned for potential threats, he could’ve sworn he saw some sort of figure slouched against the wall. He stared a little longer, growing more and more certain he wasn’t just making things up. Leon managed to stifle a gasp as he noticed the muscular build of the stranger, and the professional suit he wore so distinctively. Leon immediately backed up, jaw clenched.

“The body double,” Leon whispered hoarsely, “He’s there. That’s him.”

There had been no sign of blood on the way over, he must’ve either stopped it or used something to absorb it. Leon didn’t think he was dead either, though it was hard to be certain. If he was alive though, why was he just sitting there? Was he in too much pain to keep moving? Or was he waiting for something? This was an opportunity to get the upper hand and threaten some information out of the man, but if there was someone coming to find him then that would put both him and Kieran in an even worse situation. It didn’t seem like he had noticed when Leon was staring at him luckily, but he was sure to pick up on something soon if he spoke too much.

Leon backed up some more, deeply uneasy. He didn’t figure it was worth it, no matter how tempting the prospect. He just wanted to get home at this point, he could figure out what to do when he had actual time to sit down and think. This had all been so far out of his comfort zone, he detested how everything had been so terribly uprooted from how he had expected it to go.

Edited at August 4, 2024 01:55 PM by silhouetteissleepy
honey x silhouetteissleepyAugust 5, 2024 04:46 PM

Honey

Darkseeker

Give Award
Kieran could have collapsed with relief when Leon nudged open the door he'd just unlocked to reveal what appeared to be an empty parking lot. From the brief glimpse he'd gotten, the moon had risen nearly to its peak in the sky; they'd been in the building for much longer than Kieran had originally thought.

Kieran tiptoed after Leon into the deserted alley squished between the office building and the structure beside it. As soon as he stepped into the cool, fresh air, he had to suppress the urge to sprint all the way back to his assigned apartment a few blocks away. He would never make it at a run, though, and if anyone was waiting for them at the shadowy end of the alley, it would be the perfect opportunity for them to take him by surprise.

He and Leon were silent as they moved down the alley. The distant sounds of car horns and shouts drifted down the corridor towards them, but otherwise it was eerily quiet. Kieran had expected the scuttling of mice or raccoons in the garbage cans scattered along the brick walls, or the sound of voices carrying down from the open windows far above their heads, but there was nothing. It made him jittery, to the point where every distant noise made him jump.

He was glancing behind him at the empty parking lot, ensuring that they weren't being followed, when Leon stopped. Kieran slammed into his shoulder, which sent a bolt of pain up his neck and through his skull, and nearly snapped at him until he saw the slouched figure ahead.

"Oh, shit," he whispered flatly, scurrying backwards until he was pressed firmly against the shadowy brick wall behind them. There had been no signs of blood once they left the building; the body double must have found something to pack or wrap the wound with. That, or he had just lost so much blood that it was no longer dripping from the wound, but Kieran would have expected him to be unconscious at that point, much less leaning upright against a wall.

The man evidently hadn't noticed them yet. He was practically slumped against the wall, his chin resting against his chest, so Kieran assumed he was still in rather rough shape. He and Leon were too, though, so that didn't give him much hope. He mentally counted his blades again. He'd lost one from the harness strapped to his back and the one in the holster on his left thigh, but all his others were accounted for, even if he wouldn't be much use with them. Leon had retrieved his gun, which was obviously still loaded, but shooting the man would be loud, messy, and draw the kind of attention that none of them wanted.

He could always try throwing his knives, he thought. He didn't want to get any closer to the double than necessary, but none of his knives were designed for ranged attacks. They were all meant for hand-to-hand combat in close quarters. He could give it a shot, but he doubted he could take out the man like that. Best case scenario, he would injure him and distract him long enough for himself and Leon to run for it.

Kieran turned to Leon, speaking as quietly as he could. "Listen, I think shooting him or trying to get close enough to stick him with a blade would cause too much of a commotion. He could easily get away if we cause too much of a scene and attract attention." He paused. "This is a really stupid idea, but I can toss a knife at him and try to hit him in the wound you gave him. I don't have any throwing knives on me so I don't know if this will even work, but I can't think of any other way to get past him. I won't be able to take him out like that, so we'd have to run for it as soon as he's hit."

Kieran unsheathed one of the two remaining knives in his shoulder harness. It wasn't a throwing knife by any means, but it was the lightest and longest of all his blades, and had the best chance of hitting its mark. "My organization assigned me to an apartment a few blocks south." He jerked his head in the general direction of his hideout. "We can head there if we manage to get past him."

Kieran surveyed his surroundings quickly. This was going to be more difficult than he anticipated. He'd have to throw the blade without stepping out of the shadows so the double wouldn't spot him, which meant he wouldn't be able to extend or flex his arm fully. The man stood at an angle from them as well, but that concerned Kieran far less than keeping himself hidden. If the man spotted him even half a second before he threw the knife, he could move enough to completely alter its trajectory.

"Okay." He shot Leon a weak, tremulous smile. "Here goes. Get ready to run."
He tried his hardest to take a few deep breaths, but it felt like his lungs were paralyzed, shoving out any breaths he tried to take. He crouched slightly, arranging his feet in the manner he'd been taught, and threw the knife with all the strength he had left.

It hit the body double just above the wound in his leg - a much better shot than Kieran had anticipated. As soon as he saw the man reach for where the blade protruded from his thigh, he took off for the end of the alleyway. He heard the body double curse as he passed him, sticking close to the opposite brick wall to stay out of his reach. His skull and neck throbbed with every step he took, but he finally reached the end of the alley and found himself standing on a sidewalk. He darted to the side of the mouth of the alley, out of the body double's line of sight, and waited for Leon. His chest rose and fell erratically, and he did his best to slow his breathing. Since it was so late, the streets were practically abandonded, but a few cars passed by on the road, and Kieran could spot some movement several blocks away. Hopefully not anyone affiliated with the body double, but he didn't have the luxury of worrying about that now.

Forums > Roleplay > 1x1
   1    2 

Refresh

Copyright ©2013-2024 Go Go Gatsby Designs, LLC    All Rights Reserved
Terms Of Use  |   Privacy Policy   |   DMCA   |   Contact Us