Wolf Play : honey x mercenary
Chatbox
 Eternity
10:13:19 ET
Noricai
webkit filters! :0
-Click-
I had it set to a greyscale filter, which is removed whenever you hover over an image *^*

And thank you! :D this white palette is my main one at the moment.

Saint
Thank you! :D I spent a good while making new palettes not long ago, so now I just get to do the easy stuff like tweak affects and filters *^*

Previously all the images on this palette spun but I can't lie, it was starting to get a lil irritating as I'd spin my banner and the page would break LOL
 Continental Wolves
10:12:59 Emmet , Spoopy Wolf
I uhh totally didnt just buy chicks for one of my broody hens
 Saint
10:09:36 
ET your making me want a cool palette but i could never lmao
 Noricai
10:09:13 Young Po
oo i like that white pallette even more
 Noricai
10:08:28 Young Po
ET
how did you do that grey out on your page!
 Eternity
10:06:14 ET
Okay, no more spin on my palette, things now scale up instead
 Saint
10:04:14 
khaos, yeah i think we swapped lmao, im like shacking really bad. might take a shower if i get motivation. i have work at 1
 Kháos
10:01:55 Kaos || Khaos
KT-
D: Hopefully you can get some rest!

Saint-
Shockingly, I am not the exact same at the moment. I was yesterday and the past three days though. I'm just a bit tired right now.
 Caeruleum
10:00:41 Cae, Blue
-WP Click-
those ratings <333
 Noricai
10:00:37 Young Po
oOoOOO...GUYS. theres jasmine in hidden falls
 Noricai
09:59:26 Young Po
haha i just saw all the robin feathers you threw in hidden falls
 Saint
09:59:16 
Khaos, im ok, just warding off a headache lol, you?
 Lucius
09:59:04 KT
I'm so exhausted man. I just got home from work and I was already drained when I got there, and it did not get better LOL
 Noricai
09:58:04 Young Po
I want sushi so BAD I COULD JUST DIE
 Kháos
09:57:21 Kaos || Khaos
Good morning KT and Saint! How are you both?
 Noricai
09:57:20 Young Po
cae
yeah i mean if you wanna spend an apple on that? He would look great as a female
 Saint
09:56:59 
hey khaos
 Lucius
09:56:50 KT
Good morning, Khaos. <3
 Noricai
09:56:25 Young Po
GOOD MORNING
 Caeruleum
09:56:16 Cae, Blue
-WP Click-
make female? hes a pretty baby <.<

Refresh

You must be a registered member for more
than 1 day before you can use our chatbox.
Quests
Alliance Battles
Challenges

Hourly Damage Variances
Coyote : +4
Death Adder : +4
Crocodile : +1
    Fall   Day  Weather:  Heavy Rain

Forums

→ Wolf Play is a fun game! Sign Up Now!

My Subscriptions
My Bookmarks
My Topics
Latest Topics
Following
Forums > Roleplay > 1x1

honey x mercenaryJuly 14, 2024 05:41 PM

Honey

Darkseeker

Give Award
please don't post if your name is not in the title!
honey x mercenaryJuly 14, 2024 05:41 PM

Honey

Darkseeker

Give Award

The sun bore down mercilessly on the backs of the guards lining the road. Oleander couldn't remember the last time it had rained; tiny puffs of bone-dry red dirt rose around their horses' hooves with every step they took. They were outfitted with leather-bound waterskins strapped to their saddles, but sweat still dripped down the guards' faces and stung their eyes.

Oleander peered down the long, winding dirt road, its surface simmering in the heat. Patrolling the path that led into the heart of the kingdom was mind-numbingly boring at best and outright unbearable on days like this. Though they were supposed to remain fully armored to deter any potential thieves or assassins creeping towards the palace, they'd all stripped off their helmets and hung them over their saddle horns to avoid boiling their heads in their own sweat.

Oleander stretched his arms above his head with a wince, his shoulders cracking audibly as he did so. They'd all been up at the crack of dawn to train and run drills, and his back and shoulders ached from hours of boxing and swordfighting. He wanted nothing more than to escape the heat and return to the cool darkness of his quarters for a well-deserved rest.

One of his superiors - a lieutenant, if he remembered correctly - passed by and nodded at him briefly. He returned the gesture with a jerk of his chin. Much of the Royal Guard had expressed their displeasure at how quickly he rose through the ranks, particularly because of his age. Most of Oleander's fellow guards were at least in their mid-30s; at 26, he was by far the youngest guard. It was impossible to ignore the whispers that he had been appointed to the Guard thanks to his friendship with the two young princes. He didn't mind the rumors; he had been inducted into the Guard because he deserved it, not because he'd batted his eyelashes at a few royals.

The sound of hooves clattering against the dusty road drew closer. Oleander sighed in relief when he spotted the red and orange uniform of the Guard; the next shift, coming to relieve them of their duties.

He and his fellow guards trotted out to meet the next shift in the center of the road. They gave their report: no activity along the main road. It was far too hot for anyone to be traveling, much less along the main road with its lack of shade and tree cover. Oleander slipped his helmet back on, wincing as the hot metal brushed against his cheeks and neck.

"Scarduzio," a voice barked. He turned to see another lieutenant, this one scarred and grizzled, scowling at him.

"Yes, sir?" Oleander's heart sank. He braced himself for the inevitable order to stay out and suffer in the heat with the new shift.

"You're wanted up in the palace. Some sort of meeting going on. Princes want you there, of course." The lieutenant rolled his eyes, but Oleander was too relieved to be getting out of this miserable weather to care.

"Thank you, sir. Will do." He dug his heels into his horse's side and trotted off after the rest of the slowly retreating guards.

This part of the main road was wedged around a rare copse of trees that towered too far above the ground to provide much shelter from the elements. They also served to block the kingdom itself from view until you rounded the corner and found yourself face-to-face with the massive city. Oleander nudged his horse into a canter and nodded at his fellow guards as he passed them and swept through the copper gates enclosing the city.

Even after living there for over a decade, the Fire Kingdom still took Oleander's breath away sometimes. Built upon a hill, it had been constructed in three layers. The first was populated by businesses and a few scattered, small homes. Oleander rode past market stalls offering fresh fruit, real golden jewelry, and countless other items. Anything a person wanted, they could find in the kingdom's market.

The second layer was the residential district, where most of the city's citizens lived. Humble cabins sat next to towering manors; there was no class division here. Children chased one another over the spotless cobblestone paths, darting in front of Oleander's horse more than once.

The third tier was occupied entirely by the palace. Oleander had stood staring at it with his mouth agape for several minutes when he'd first arrived. It stood tall enough to block out the sun's rays at certain times of the day. It was constructued of an luxurious red stone that reminded him of a refined type of brick.

Oleander steered his horse towards the royal stables just behind the palace. Even the barns were opulent; able to hold fifty horses each, they were built out of pale wood and outfitted with gold trappings. Oleander untacked his horse swiftly and settled him in his massive box stall, where he promptly laid down and rolled in the fresh pile of shavings laid out for him.

The back entrance to the palace was popular among the royal servants and guards, and it was this entrance that Oleander took now. It was a much quicker, more direct route to the guards' quarters through the back door. He jogged up one of the palace's winding stone staircases to the second floor, where his room was located. He was already in uniform, but his clothing was soaked in sweat and likely reeked. He didn't have enough time to wash off before the meeting, so he would just have to deal with any remaining body odor.

Oleander's room was small but comfortable. Made entirely of stone, it had a decently-sized window that overlooked the center of the kingdom. In the evenings, he often sat and watched the passerby below going about their lives. He stripped out of his filthy clothing and pawed through his wardrobe until he found a clean uniform, identical to the one he had just removed.

A small handheld mirror sat on a wooden stool nearby, propped against a basin of cool water. Oleander dipped his fingers into the water, wishing desperately to dump the entire thing over his head, and ran his fingers through his hair quickly, hoping to undo the mess that his sweaty helmet had made. It ended up just looking even wetter, but it would have to do. He snatched his sword in its scabbard off the floor and affixed it to his belt meticulously, taking a final glance at himself in the mirror as he did so. He looked a mess, and sincerely hoped that there would be no other guards at the meeting to compare his unkempt appearance to. He sighed and hurried out of his room and back downstairs to the cavernous meeting hall.

Edited at July 17, 2024 11:42 AM by Honey
honey x mercenaryJuly 17, 2024 09:06 PM

Mercenary

Neutral

Give Award
Standing in the palace was a man that had grown alone. One that would be considered something of "solitude in a body", though Tallan preferred to call it protecting his peace. He stood, his shoulders relaxed and slightly slouched. He'd never make this sort of appearance in front of his family. He knows better. Of course he does, but the idea of having more freedom had always appealed him.

In hand was a golden chalice, filled with the darkest of red wine the palace servants could provide from the kitchen. To the left, a small table, sat fruits - grapes, apples, strawberries... anything else that could be served. They were untouched, remaining in their own little world. Tallan had refused to eat for a while, a feeling of something overwhelming him. He took a small sip from the goblet, setting it down softly on the table.

His chambers were quite cluttered. While the prince would remain organized, he had been recently studying more magic. Books were laid on his bed and the larger desk, papers scattered on the hardwood floors. The candles still being lit from the previous night had been proof that he fell asleep at that desk, explaining the dark bags underneath his eyes. Tallan would deny the idea of not getting enough sleep, but in reality, he was anticipating something. He had urges to do more for himself as of late, but when the nights grew to become his favorite time, Tallan realized that there was more than just 'wanting to learn'.

A soft sigh of relief had emitted from the man's throat when hearing a gentle knock and then the heavy doors gently swing open. He turned to look over his shoulder, the light from behind him framing his face ever so softly. The sun was high - midday, he would guess. "Prince and Princess Koda and Reya," the servant said with a nod. The two youngsters came running in, careless of the mess around them.

"Tallan!" The two exclaimed. A smile plastered on his face, Tallan had embraced the two after taking a knee to get down to their level.

"Are you ready for more history lessons?" Tallan asked, his smile wide as ever.

Reya was quick to nod her head while Koda had already turned to gather a book that seemed interesting to him. Tallan watched, remembering the days where he barely had this freedom. Would he ever? Perhaps, but now, he at least had something to look forward to -- his family.

When the twins were born, the Fire Kingdom was concerned for their leaders. Queen Elise had complications. Tallan could remember hearing her screams down the hall as he stood a distance away from the door. He remembered his father telling him to stay as far away as possible until ordered otherwise. Curiosity of course took over the better part of him. Tallan could remember praying to the Gods all night long. 'Do not take my mother. Do not take my mother.' It felt like it was the only thing he could do. Perhaps the only thing he could do right. Luckily, the twins were born healthy. The Queen was weakened greatly, but the delivery was successful.

But Tallan would still have to pray for his beloved mother at night.

Tallan's attention had been redirected when Koda, holding a heavier book than expected, had dropped it on the desk. "This one, Tally." He said, pointing to it.

"Okay, okay," Tallan responded, sitting behind the desk in the grand mahagony chair. The back was tall and well polished, the family sigil carved into the back. The twins came around to either side, Tallan sliding the book over.

"Koda I believe you picked one a little far ahead." He said, realizing the book still had yet to be finished. Wisemen, as they called them, would fill out books as events happened. A number of times they would alter certain things for the dramatization of their own past doings, but the point would always get across.

"What do you mean?" Koda asked, looking at the book then to Tallan.

"You see," Tallan began, flipping through the pages, "the Wisemen have not finished this book. This is the Book of Reigns. It describes each noble family and how long they ruled over their Kingdom. Look," he said. Tallan flipped to their family, finding where it said Facklor in fancy writing. There were a number of names, the family being one of the oldest. His finger gently glided across the page, allowing for the twins to follow along.

"But if you look even further," he turned a few more pages, "there is nothing." He turned to the both of them. "We are one of the oldest families in the entire world. You two could be the future of it. Will be the future of it. There will be a day father will pass alongside mother and I will take his spot and take a wife. Shall we have a son, he will be next in line. But after him, there is Albus. And then Koda," he paused for a moment, his eyes meeting his only sister's. "And then Reya." His tone was soft and peaceful, like that of a melody so familiar to an old ear you wouldn't be able to help but to hum along.

The youngsters both smiled.

"Tallan... what happens if you die? Or if one of us dies?" Reya asked.

Tallan wanted to say something of replacement. That's what heirs are. Replaceable. He bit his tongue, swallowing slightly as he tried to think of something else to say. Something more calmly and not as dark. A twelve year old would not understand such a thing.

But yet again, his attention was diverted when another servant had opened the doors. With a small bow, the woman was quick to speak. "You are all summoned to the main hall for a gathering, my Princes and Princess." She said, and then simply left. Her footsteps receded down the hall.

"We will continue later," Tallan said, closing the book. "Summon Yara for the gathering." Tallan said. The twins were quick to oblige, quick to leave. They had always enjoyed the audiences and meetings. Tallan smiled softly at the thought.

Tallan rose from the chair and entered through an archway in his chambers. The roof was quite high, support beams prominent. A small bathroom-like area had obtained him as he looked at himself in the mirror. He decided that he would be fine in his current attire - a silk-like undershirt with a lightweight silky-ish herigaut with dark red embroidery and more form-fitting sleeves. He wore common pants underneath and of course his boots, hoping he wouldn't get too hot. He sighed softly be fore he made his way out of the chamber and toward the main hall.

Tallan greeted those around him. Small gestures like a nod or a slight raise of the hand was enough. He saw commonfolk being let in to the main hall as well. He thought silently to himself, knowing this must be of large news. Something that a small council meeting couldn't simply wait for.

The hall doors remained opened and Tallan was gentle as he pushed past the groupings of people that crowded the room. Voice echoed, whispers of what it could possibly be. While passing through people, he saw the Royal Guards and his brothers and sister. His father sat in the throne - a large golden chair with red swirled in it, some other spots splattered. Lore would say it's "the blood the Facklor family spilled", but Tallan had always begged to differ.

He approached the chair, standing next to Albus. On the other side was their mother and the young twins, who observed the crowd. Tallan turned his attention to the group as well, more and more people in by the second. He sighed softly, the heat of the audience making Tallan sweat in the slightest.

A strong presence was sudden when the King rose to his feet. He was a towering man of dark skin and hair, his eyes an uncommon blue in the family. Tallan watched him closely but when he knew his father would turn his head to view his own kin, Tallan averted eye contact and stood tall, his hands crossed at waist level.

"Today we all gather here for news in the change of our heirs. After long discussions over a duration of time, the small council and I have made the choice to revoke the naming of Tallan Atreyu Facklor as heir and replace him with his brother - Albus Facklor. A much better fit for the role."

Better fit. A much better fit. A much better fit for the role.

Albus had inclined his head as Tallan's crown, the one he would wear while out in the villages, be gently placed on his head by the bearer. Tallan's eyes had grown to look confused and betrayed. He looked at his father. Everything felt as though it was in slow motion. He knew this was coming. Tallan could never live up to what his father had wanted in a son, let alone an heir, but why even name him in the first place?

Where had Tallan gone wrong?

Tallan wanted to speak but his muscles refused to move. His jaw was clenched. His eyebrows furrowed. Tears were restrained in his eyes, daring to fall.

When Tallan had finally comprehended what was happening, he heard the clamor of the people. People sounded confused an angered, others maybe pleased. Tallan wasn't worried about that. The Queen Elise was quick to approach Tallan, but at the reject of her cold hand, Tallan felt himself crumble inside. Was this his karma for all of those years?

He looked around for a moment before hearing his father's voice yet again.

"This choice was made to better the people. Shall you betray the crown, you will be punished," he stated sternly. The people had quieted down and resumed their clamor after the King finished his speech. The man didn't even bat an eye towards his eldest son, and was quick to begin walking. Two guards, his most trusted, followed behind them, their hands on the swords. People watched but all Tallan could do was stand their blankly.

All we heirs are... are replacements.

Tallan didn't know how long he would stand there for. Or how much time had passed. He felt empty and sick. It felt like he had been there for eons, but nothing ever moved. Everything was still.

What was his purpose now?
honey x mercenaryJuly 18, 2024 04:02 PM

Honey

Darkseeker

Give Award

The cavernous throne room was packed with people, more than Oleander could ever remember seeing in his time as a guard. Cityfolk stood in clumps with their families and friends all around the room, and the air was balmy from the heat of so many bodies. Oleander shoved through the crowd, though most of them parted quickly when they caught sight of his red uniform and the wickedly curved sword at his hip.

During public meetings, the guards were instructed to position themselves near the entrances to prevent anyone from coming through once the royals had begun to speak. Oleander settled himself in a corner to the left of the throne, a few yards away from the queen and the young twins. He rested his elbow on the hilt of his sword; near enough to grab it if the need arose, but not so close to intimidate the cityfolk around him.

He snuck a glance out of the corner of his eye at the king, who was sprawled across his throne in an irritating display of arrogance. Oleander had never particularly liked King Atreyu; he thought the man's opinions of himself and his abilities as a monarch were far too high, considering he had only ever ruled during a prosperous peacetime. His indifference towards his children bothered Oleander too. All four of his kids were ridiculously capable and intelligent, but Atreyu seemed to brush them off like they were dirt on his robes. Except for Albus, of course. Oleander wasn't entirely what was up with that. Albus was a competent politician, sure, but there had been no tensions amongst the various realms' kingdoms for decades. All the rulers had to do these days was be civil to each other, which Oleander suspected Albus would not be fantastic at.

The hall grew silent as the king stood and raised his hand to draw his spectators' attention. Slightly behind the throne stood a royal servant, the heir's crown belonging to Tallan clutched reverently in his fingers. That was odd, Oleander thought. Maybe they were holding some sort of ceremony to honor the future king? He couldn't imagine Atreyu arranging that, though. Maybe it had been Queen Elise's idea.

The king began to speak in his full, booming voice; the crowd listened with rapt attention. Oleander did too, for a moment, but the rest of the king's speech began to fall away as he continued on.

"- change of our heirs-"

"- revoke the naming of Tallan Atreyu Facklor-"

"Albus Facklor. A much better fit for the role."

"What the hell," said Oleander, quite audibly, and a few cityfolk crowded near him scowled and shushed him.

The servant darted forward and handed the crown to the king, who placed it delicately upon a kneeling Albus's head. The crowd had started to murmur amongst themselves, and their voices rose in volume until the hall was filled with the sound of their deafening chatter. Oleander couldn't tell if they were cheering or booing. He felt sick to his stomach.

He peered around the throne to catch a glimpse of Tallan. The prince stood completely still, his back straight and his eyes focused on the far wall. His face looked stony and emotionless, but Oleander could see the muscles in his jaw twitching incessantly.

The king lifted his arm again, waiting for the throne room to fall silent. He droned on about betrayal to the crown and treason, and the punishment that would befall anyone who resisted the change in heirs. Oleander's shock had died away now, replaced by simmering anger. Could Atreyu even do that? He knew Albus would have been heir if Tallan had been unable to rule or had passed away, but in all his time in the kingdom, he had never heard of a ruler changing their heir simply because they wanted to.

Having finished with his spiel, the king stepped off of the dias and strode out of the throne room, several other guards close behind him. The cityfolk had begun to mill about, converging into larger groups to discuss this announcement. Oleander couldn't make out their words, and didn't bother to try. There was a furious buzzing echoing in his ears.

The king and Albus had departed, but the queen, Tallan, and the twins were still huddled together on the other side of the throne. Oleander began to push his way through the crowd again; this time, they seemed much less inclined to make way for him, even when they saw his uniform and weapon. He bowed when he finally reached the royals, as was customary. Being childhood friends with two princes didn't excuse one from showing fealty to their family. He turned to Tallan as soon as he straightened up, his mouth opening to ask what had happened, what brought this on, when he saw the look on Tallan's face.

Now that the crowd had begun to slink out of the throne room, the stony facade on Tallan's face had disappeared. He looked... lost now, like his place in the world had been disrupted and he had no clue what to do next. Oleander supposed that that was exactly what had just happened to him.

A commotion sounded from the other side of the room. Oleander turned to see several of his fellow guards escorting the last stragglers of the crowd out of the hall. When they finally shut the doors and turned, he was shocked to see the impassive expressions on their faces. Nothing, not even their eyes, indicated that they were at all surprised by the revoking of Tallan's title.

They knew, Oleander understood very suddenly. Had they been told because they were evidently assigned to crowd control, rather than the defense of the royals like he had been? No, that made no sense; Oleander would have been told so he could be on the lookout for possible threats to the king. Was it because he and Tallan were so close? The realization dawned on him, hitting like a punch to the gut. The entire Royal Guard knew of his friendship with the princes - it was why so many of them disliked him so. They had avoided telling him to either keep him from warning Tallan or from refusing to support Albus as the new heir. He bit down hard on his tongue as he watched the guards cross the room, joking with each other and laughing as if nothing had happened, as if they had not been present for what was, from Oleander's understanding, an unprecedented move from the king.

Oleander's attention turned back to the royals, now preparing to exit the throne room as well. He cleared his throat and crossed his arms, doing his best to look as professional as possible. "Is there anything I can do, Your Highness?" he asked Tallan, doing his best to keep his voice level and flat despite the anger that threatened to bubble over into his words. The twins looked somewhat frightened, staying close to their mother's skirts. They likely weren't quite old enough to understand the gravity of the situation. They were both so far back in the line of succession that they had probably heard little conversation on the topic of inheritance.

Queen Elise looked sad as well, as she took her youngest children by the hands and led them from the hall. Her steps were slow and uneven; she had never entirely recovered from the twins' birth over a decade ago. Oleander watched them go, the twins gripping their mother's hands tight to support her as she walked.

He and Tallan trailed out after them in silence. Oleander wanted so badly to ask all the questions that were crammed into his mind: what had happened? Had the king and Tallan fought? Had this ever been done before? Why gather the entire city in the palace for such an announcement? He stayed quiet, though. That awful expression was still wrought across Tallan's face, and he didn't want to push him to speak if he was still in shock.

honey x mercenaryJuly 21, 2024 09:20 PM

Mercenary

Neutral

Give Award
Was it fear he was feeling? Hurt? Betrayal? Anger? Frustration? A sense of guilt lingering beneath? Tallan looked around for a moment, his eyebrows furrowed and his eyes scanning the scene. As his father left alongside his brother, his new heir, Tallan could feel himself become weightless in such a way that was supernatural. He swallowed hard, his senses slowly coming back to him.

He knew what he heard was right. There was no mistake King Atreyu would mistakenly say such a thing. But word of treason being stated so direct on this day made Tallan feel as though there had been a larger plot. One that he had been shunned away from, kept a secret under his own nose as he lived his life hopeful and training for the day he would become a King and rule as his father once did. Tallan nodded his head as some sort of reaction.

"Tallan," Queen Elise said. The twins huddled next to her like bear cubs, looking for comfort in a time of need.

Perhaps that was what his dying mother saw in him still even though he had been a grown man for many years.

Tallan's eyes had grown slightly clouded. He shook his head and looked down at his feet, beginning to subconciously fiddle with the ring on his forefinger. He felt as though the air that he was meant to inhale was being taken away from him. No, he wasn't dying, but the feeling overwhelmed so much that he could drop dead at that moment.

Queen Elise didn't say anything else. A look of sympathy was plastered on her face, she was quick to look at the Royal Guard Oleander before walking away with her youngest children.

Tallan finally looked up from the floor, his eyes meeting one of his childhood best friends. Oleander was a close friend of the family - mostly to Albus and himself. He had confided in him and trusted him whole-heartedly, though now he was unsure of where his companion would sit. Would it be beside Albus? Or not at all? Surely he couldn't have known of such doings either. That would be wrong. Oleander would surely tell him a plan like this, right? Tallan wasn't sure what to believe at the moment. It was like his the synapses in his brain had all cut circulation, but he was aware of it.

Tallan took a deep breath, his shoulders rising and then falling. When he heard the words "Your Highness" leave Oleander's lips, Tallan was quick to shake his head. "I am no longer, Oleander." That was all he could muster up. Tallan walked away, knowing Oleander would follow. Perhaps he wasn't one for betrayal, but Tallan felt as though another situation would fall upon his head.

Tallan had restrained himself from going to his father or Albus. What could he say? All he knew he would do was beg. Instead, he sat in his chambers at the desk, resting his arms on top of it to place his head gently on his forearms, playing with the ring off of his finger. He felt like a child all over again - locked away for he could never live up to his father's expectations.

Tallan rose after a few more moments, opening his chamber doors. "Oleander," he said softly towards the man who stood outside. He wasn't trying to hide the fact that he wanted his friend in the room with him, but he also didn't want anyone to make up whispers that could spread to the King this early in the change of succession.

"Did my father say anything to you? I mean anything at all? You're a trusted Royal Guard. I know our friendship can complicate things, but you must've overheard something."

Here he stood begging. Like a stray dog on the beaten paths of the streets, kicked to the side as it stood in the way. That was all Tallan ever did, right? Was beg and beg and beg. He looked away from Oleander and then let out a soft sigh. Perhaps it was disappointment in himself, but it felt more like an annoyance gnawing away at his insides that could spill out at any moment.

Tallan felt his attention be diverted when he felt another presence. This one was strong and almost harmful in such a way that it was intimidating. Maybe Tallan was weak that way and that was why, but when he realized who it could be, he grabbed Oleander by the shoulders and guided him away from the doors. "Stay over here," Tallan said. He had pushed him to the other side of one of the large wooden support beams for one of the many arches in his chambers. You couldn't see if anyone was there if you were standing near the door.

When a knock was heard, it boomed through the quiet room. He stole a final glance from his friend before he opened it, the heavy door slightly creaking.

"Albus," Tallan said softly.

"Tallan," Albus said with a sharp inhale.

"I'm sorry about this... change." Albus had always sounded so forced. His ego was so high, not even the tallest man in the Fire Realm could see over it. Not even catch a single glimpse of what was truly on the other side.

"The fuck if you are," Tallan hissed. While he was upset, he still felt rage. Towards himself for not being good enough, towards his father for not saying a word to him, and for his brother being the choice.

"You know who I am, Tallan. I would not come here to lie to you. I may not be the most honorable, but I am honest," Albus said, almost in a mocking way. Tallan looked away for a moment and bit his lip.

"Who sent you?" He asked.

"Nobody."

"Liar."

"I am not-"

The two's bickering was cut off when the twins were quick to approch, bursting into the room. "Tally, we must finish from earlier!" One of them chirped.

"Be the better father than your own," Albus said sharply, spitting towards Tallan's feet.

"Oleander!" Reya exclaimed before Albus had completely walked away. This caused him to turn back around with a slight tilt of his head.

"Oleander, huh?" He questioned.

"Albus..." Tallan trailed off.

"I won't say anything. At least not this time."

Tallan exhaled sharply as though he had been holding his breath the entire time. He entered back into the room, the youngsters already grabbing different books off the shelves and placing them on the desk. Tallan looked towards Oleander and sighed softly out of relief.

"Something is happening, my friend."
honey x mercenaryJuly 22, 2024 10:19 PM

Honey

Darkseeker

Give Award

Oleander followed slowly in Tallan's wake, wracking his brain desperately for something he could say to reassure him. There had to be some code somewhere preventing Atreyu from replacing his heir for such a petty reason? Even if there was, Atreyu was the king, and his word was law. He could easily have his scribes whip up something to defend his choice. Albus could refuse to accept the title of heir and defer to Tallan? Oleander had grown up with both princes, and he couldn't imagine Albus doing anything like that, even for the sake of his brother. They would go to Atreyu and demand to know why he had removed Tallan from the position, why he suddenly thought he was unfit for the role? No, that would only intensify the king's scrutiny of his son, and Oleander - at best- would be tossed into the dungeons for treason.

They had reached Tallan's quarters. The queen and the twins had disappeared down the hallway, likely retiring to their own rooms to mull over this change in succession or, in Queen Elise's case, rest after such a stressful gathering.

Oleander exchanged a wordless nod with the prince and took up his post next to his chamber door. The door closed behind Tallan with a soft click, and Oleander suddenly felt desperately along in the long, shadowy hall. He knew that his emotions were nothing compared to what Tallan must be feeling, but he still kept expecting Atreyu or Albus to strut down the hallway, those insufferable knowing smirks still written across their faces. He had no idea what he would do the next time he was called to accompany one of them. Even just standing in the throne room, still in a state of shock, he had wanted to grab them and shake them furiously, ask them what the hell they were thinking replacing Tallan, who was probably the most intelligent and compassionate person he knew. As a ruler, Albus would pale in comparison to him; he was too headstrong, too short-tempered, too arrogant. Tallan was patient, kind, and smart, and he would have no trouble keeping the peace among the Realms. Albus, on the other hand... well, Oleander wasn't so sure.

Another Royal Guard stalked by, snapping Oleander out of his thoughts. His eyes darted between the thick wooden door to Tallan's chambers and Oleander, leaning against the stone wall next to it. He looked as if he might pause for a moment, but to Oleander's relief, he seemed to think twice and continued down the hall.

He supposed the rest of the Guard had likely been instructed to keep a closer eye on him thanks to his bond with Tallan, but it stung nonetheless. He sighed and tipped his head back against the cool stone. The idea of serving under Albus was almost unbearable; they had grown up together, but there was a reason that Oleander preferred Tallan's company. Albus already had a massive ego, and being the heir to a kingdom would almost certainly give him an insufferable superiority complex. Besides, he had obviously been aware of and likely been involved in the plan to switch heirs, and had been rewarded with a role that he didn't rightfully deserve.

The sound of a door creaking echoed down the still hall, and a soft voice murmured his name. Oleander turned to find Tallan hovering in the entrance of his chambers, holding the door open slightly in invitation. Oleander surveyed the hallway to ensure that they were alone before slipping inside, shutting the door behind him silently.

While all the royal chambers were massive and opulently decorated, Oleander had always found Tallan's room quite cozy. Books littered nearly every available surface, and sheafs of parchment lay across the floor or the quilts folded on the bed.

Oleander lingered uneasily near the door. He wanted nothing more than to stay with Tallan and do his best to provide some semblance of comfort, but the idea of leaving his post unguarded made him anxious. He wasn't putting Tallan in danger - he was probably safer with Oleander in the room anyway - but he doubted that now was not a good time for a fellow Guard to discover that he'd abandoned his post.

Tallan was studying him intently. Oleander opened his mouth to speak, but Tallan cut him off quickly. That was unlike him, and it made Oleander all the more upset; the change in heirs was obviously eating at him.

He had expected the prince to ask him if he knew about the plot. Oleander was close to most of the royal family and was most often assigned to directly keep watch over them during their day-to-day activities. It would have made more sense for him to be aware of the plan, to be frank. But Atreyu and Albus had obviously withheld the details from his purposefully. They suspected he would go straight to Tallan if he became suspicious, and they were probably right.

"I didn't know," he said quietly. "They might've let something slip around me for all I know, but I wouldn't have understood what it meant if I didn't know about their plan." He began to pace the perimeter of the room. "The rest of the Guard knew, though, I could tell. None of them were surprised when your father made his announcement. They were probably told to anticipate the possibility of the commoners resisting the change. But they didn't tell me." He was quiet for a moment. "I think they realized I would come to you if I found anything out." Oleander glanced up and met Tallan's gaze. "They were right, honestly. If I'd realized what was happening, I would have told you, and maybe we could have figured out a plan to counter theirs before all this happened." His voice had turned bitter, but he was angry at himself now, rather than Tallan's family, for failing to notice the signs that must have been so obvious before him.

The forlorn, melancholic expression in Tallan's eyes had not disappeared. Oleander's fingers twitched at his sides. He was not one for physical affection, but he was struck by the urge to cross the room and wrap his arms around the prince.

Tallan's entire body suddenly stiffened; Oleander was reminded strongly of a prey animal that had heard something much larger than itself crashing through the brush. Before he could ask what was wrong, Tallan had grasped him by the shoulders and nudged him behind one of the thick wooden support beams stretching towards the ceiling. He couldn't see the door from here, he realized; he must be hidden from anyone who stood in the entrance as well.

As if on cue, a knock rapped against the thick wooden door. Oleander heard Tallan's footsteps, the creak of the door, and the prince's soft voice, though he couldn't make out what he was saying.

The next voice was crystal-clear, however. Albus's monotonous, self-righteous drawl had Oleander clenching his jaw and grinding his teeth to stop himself from leaping out and shouting. It sounded like the other princde was giving some half-assed apology, but Tallan snapped back at him. Good for him, Oleander thought. Albus's voice rose and fell in volume but remained emotionless, while Tallan spoke softly with a raging current of anger beneath his words.

Two sets of smaller footsteps thudded into the room. Oleander almost sighed in relief. The two older siblings would not argue so viciously with the twins around. He could hear them chirping at Tallan and sweeping through the room to collect whatever books they found interesting.

Reya drifted towards the bed, which lay against the opposite wall, parallel to where Oleander hid. She hopped onto her tiptoes to retrieve a book from where it was nestled in the covers, and Oleander hardly dared to breathe. She was preparing to dart back to Tallan when she turned her head just so and caught sight of Oleander.

Oleander pressed his finger to his lips and shook his head frantically, but that didn't stop the princess from calling out to him and darting across the room to wrap him in a hug. Albus repeated his name mockingly, and a surge of anger flared in his chest. He patted Reya's shoulders gently and shifted ever so slightly so that he was just barely in Albus's field of vision. He didn't want to seem like he was hiding from him, of all people.

Albus stalked out of the room after a few more terse exchanges with Tallan, slamming the door behind him with much more force than necessary. Oleander edged out of his hiding place slowly, Reya still huddled against him. She seemed anxious, having picked up on the animosity between her brothers, and Oleander rubbed her arm reassuringly.

Koda, however, had already moved on, scrambling across the desk to reach a book that had caught his eye. Reya finally left Oleander's side when she spied a particularly interesting volume in her brother's hands.

Tallan was still standing listlessly near the door. Oleander drew closer to him. "Do you think your father forced him to come?" he whispered, too quietly for the twins to hear. "Or do you think... maybe he just wanted to gloat." He winced even as the words left his mouth. That would be cruel, even for Albus, whose arrogance seemed to know no bounds.

The shock of Albus's sudden appearance had faded, replaced with fury and indignation. "I assumed your father was behind the plot, but I wonder if Albus had more influence then we think." Oleander hated putting those thoughts out, especially for Tallan to hear. Albus had always had a bit of a mean streak, but the idea of him invalidating his brother's claim to the throne was more than just cruelty.

He leaned in more closely and spoke in a quiet voice that the twins wouldn't be able to pick up on. "Is... is there anything I can do?"

Edited at July 27, 2024 05:05 PM by Honey

Forums > Roleplay > 1x1

Refresh

Copyright ©2013-2024 Go Go Gatsby Designs, LLC    All Rights Reserved
Terms Of Use  |   Privacy Policy   |   DMCA   |   Contact Us